Main Menu

1973 Challenger Rallye JA5

Started by Burdar, April 05, 2017, 11:30:24 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Burdar

I talked to Barry about it once.  My thought was that the body shop had stacks of floor pans that came in from their supplier.  The top floor pan in the stack was numbered.  :dunno:  Barry thought that was a good possibility.

Cuda Cody

That never occurred to me that it could be something like that, but it makes sense.   :yes:  Very good chance it's something that simple.

Quote from: Burdar on April 10, 2017, 01:47:47 PM
I talked to Barry about it once.  My thought was that the body shop had stacks of floor pans that came in from their supplier.  The top floor pan in the stack was numbered.  :dunno:  Barry thought that was a good possibility.

anlauto

Yea might have something to do with inventory or lot numbers....top piece on a stack :waving:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

6bblgt

I'll throw my WAG into the ring

the 3 digit number is the last 3-digits of the "SEQUENCE NUMBER"

by '74 it started to appear on the fender tag also - on '70 dash sheets it was usually hand written on the sheet also (last 2-digits) 

Cuda Cody

Another good theory.  That makes perfect sense too.  It's there for a reason, but I've never seen one in person.  Gotta have a pretty clean car I guess to still have the number on the floor boards. 

Quote from: 6bblgt on April 10, 2017, 05:36:34 PM
I'll throw my WAG into the ring

the 3 digit number is the last 3-digits of the "SEQUENCE NUMBER"

by '74 it started to appear on the fender tag also - on '70 dash sheets it was usually hand written on the sheet also (last 2-digits)

6bblgt

@Burdar  didn't your car have a sheet for another car?  What's the sequence number on that car?  in the ballpark?

Burdar

Yes, a 340 4-speed Cuda sheet was under the back seat.

Sequence number is 2039097
Order number is A07136681...I assume A07 is the SPD?
VIN is 1?6173...(there is hole in the sheet where the second digit is...I'm pretty sure it's a 7 though)

My Challenger VIN is 159366
Order number 097126 (927 SPD)

The above picture was taken after the floor pan was hit with the sand blaster.  What ever they used was some good stuff.  The numbers were visible before blasting as well...the floor wasn't fully painted, just overspray. I doubt I have a before picture though.  This was before the days of cheap digital cameras.

Burdar

Spikedog08

Burdar . . . you certainly have talents I do not!  Awesome work!   :worship:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Burdar

I don't have any talents what so ever.  I'm just posting pictures of what the body shop did.  :))  :drinkingbud:

Cuda Cody

It's nice seeing E-Bodies restored right and to a high level.  I get motivation looking at your photos.     :lookatthat:

Burdar

More...

The only part of the floor pan that was replaced was under the drivers feet.  There were some pin holes in that area.  The full underbody undercoating did a good job at protecting the rest of the floor.

Cuda Cody

:lurking:  Love seeing these photos.   

RUNCHARGER

I love these too. You were lucky to find a qualified guy to do the work, that is really nice to see.
Sheldon

Challenger in NC