Main Menu

69 383 Formula S 4 speed

Started by Shane Kelley, September 20, 2017, 01:26:58 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cudaragtop

Have all that trim to do on our 69FB  :Thud:
Restored our Grills, done by Totally Auto.
Rechromed the Wing window parts and bumpers
New Repop door handles, mirrors, reverse bezels, park light bezels, trunk trim plate...

All the stainless will be hours of resto... never done any but will watch Cody's videos again! My budget is so blown up.
The more I do, the more I need to do. If I do this then I can't not do that... the snowball effect.
It's all good though.
Shane sets a pretty tall bar to aim for.
Seems like he just started and now he's almost done!

- Randy D. 1970 'Cuda 340 4-Speed Convertible
69 Barracuda G3 Hemi/8HP70 Resto-Mod Project Album: https://goo.gl/photos/XjsAsx4LDo7psimU8

autoxcuda

Quote from: Shane Kelley on June 20, 2018, 05:23:01 AM
Quote from: autoxcuda on June 19, 2018, 03:23:08 PM
Well it could be a 67-68.

Then you end up restoring the grille surround and headlight buckets. Heavy nicked and usually tweaked to hell. Same with trunk trim.

Did you buy the repro 69 grille assy and trunk trim?

Yes.  Repop stuff! Non of it is awesome but it's decent.  I'm happy to able to even get it.

The 69 grilles get costly pot metal chroming and you need to start with or buy straight non cracked pieces.

And straightening and polishing rear trim is very time consuming or costly. Then to make it look OE it needs to be sent out for bright dipped anodizing. A repro might be thinner and no fit as well, most restored pieces still has noticeable issues. Unless you start with primo pieces.
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

Shane Kelley

Just about to wrap this beast up. You guys think E body side glass sucks to install? Try some of these. Real pain in the ass! These interiors have like a million pieces compared to E bodies also.

YellowThumper

Still bad a.. there.

Also feel your pain on another I am doing. 64 Falcon Sprint. Wind wings apart like what you show and trim pieces for miles.

Thanks for posting it up here.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Cudakiller70

I keep looking at the reflection on the door, sweet paint. For a minute I thought you put some stickers on the wing window. Amazing detail work on everything.

Shane Kelley

Quote from: Cudakiller70 on July 18, 2018, 09:12:40 AM
I keep looking at the reflection on the door, sweet paint. For a minute I thought you put some stickers on the wing window. Amazing detail work on everything.
Thank you!  This is the best pic to me that really shows the finish and panel fit.

303 Mopar

Quote from: Shane Kelley on July 18, 2018, 10:11:50 AM
Quote from: Cudakiller70 on July 18, 2018, 09:12:40 AM
Thank you!  This is the best pic to me that really shows the finish and panel fit.

That is stunning!  :worship:

HP_Cuda

You know Shane I have never really liked the older Barracuda body style but this one looks amazing!

:burnout:
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Shane Kelley

Quote from: HP_Cuda on July 18, 2018, 11:41:49 AM

You know Shane I have never really liked the older Barracuda body style but this one looks amazing!

:burnout:
Thanks!  It's funny hearing you say that. I have friends that come up to me all the time and follow the build on FB. They say the same thing. I feel the same way myself. When I started this build I absolutely hated these cars. Then he wanted that big ass hood scoop put on it. I wasn't feeling it at all. (see pic) But once the car came together wrapped in slick paint it really grew on me. Now the scoop makes it that much meaner looking. 

RUNCHARGER

I love the 67-69 Barracudas. I think they have good styling, decent interiors and they really run well with a 340 in  them.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

Great job on the black paint & great looking car overall , nice work !!

Shane Kelley

So the car is really close. Just a little more exterior trim, front end alignment and fluid change. Owner came by for the first time since the body was painted and took it to town for a test drive.

Ran into a a issue with the repop steering wheel. They don't taper the inside of the hub to allow the steering wheel to fit down on the column enough. (see first pic) So I used a die grinder to try and create the taper. Ended up being just a tad to much so then the wheel was to close making the horn honk when you turned it.  Ended up cutting the hub out of the factory wheel and welding into the repop wheel. All seems well.

I put about about 50 miles on it. Very pleased with the way it rides and drives. What's really impressive is the interior room compared to a E body. I didn't realize how much room these cars have inside. I'm long legged and still have to move the seat up a little to work the clutch and all kinds of room above my head. This thing is a real brute! You can roll into the throttle in any of the first 3 gears and it will try and jump out from under you.  :stayinlane:

Burdar

QuoteThese interiors have like a million pieces compared to E bodies also.

I noticed the same thing when I disassembled my Dart.  There are a LOT more fasteners on an A-body then there were on my E.  Maybe that's why the E-bodies have a reputation for being rattle traps? 

The car looks great! 

Shane Kelley

Some outside pics. Last pic is the owner and his wife heading out for a test drive.  He will be taking it home next weekend.

anlauto

Love the car, quality of the build is second to none....but absolutely hate the wheel/tire choice :alan2cents: If he must have the black steel wheel, make sure the rim is period correct, then ditch the BFG's for thin Red Lines up front, and a black wall cheater slick out back....I'd rather see a vintage mag wheel up front with a steel wheel on the back.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration