Main Menu

70 Challenger going Plum Crazy

Started by Dakota, September 27, 2017, 06:30:39 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Dakota

Didn't get squat done on the car for the month of November, but I had a good reason as my wife and I took a month-long trip south to see friends and our kids (retirement is awesome, by the way). Got back in town just in time for the snow, but no worries... it's always good to be home.

I'm back to working on the dash and getting the new wiring harnesses sorted.   There was defintely a "butt pucker" moment when I got the wire cutters out to chop off the ring connectors for the main power wires on a brand new M&H harness that would normally go to the amp meter if I still had one.  I'm doing the "amp meter bypass" described on the MAD Electronics website.  One connection crimped, soldered and insulated.... a couple hundred more to go.

Part of the work has also involved replacing as much of the wire runs for dash lights and such that aren't readily avaialble as replacement harnesses.   I'm sure you all have lots of stories of some of the odd things that you find once you start looking at this stuff.   I came across a fuse holder that was patched into the feed to the turn signal flasher.   I'm not sure I want to know what that was trying to fix.

I have failed miserably (again) meeting my self-imposed goal of getting the garage contents cleared out/rearranged so that my wife could park in the garage during the winter.   Maybe by January???? (no year specified).   Proof positive that I married better than she did.

70 Challenger Lover

Keep the posts coming! This is a great build thread. I'm working on a few things myself and like you, I find other people's builds very inspiring.

Morty426

Your married better than comment is classic

Dakota

I'm still making some progress.   Nothing that's "photo worthy,"  but progress nonetheless.    Up until last week, the winter had been pretty mild one so working out in the garage wasn't too uncomfortable.   Put most of the front suspension in along with the rear shocks.   The power steering pump is back on the engine.  Still working on dash wiring and recovering seats.  I was pressing in new u-joints for the drive shaft and ended up burning a fair bit of time on the front one.   The Spicer 5-789X that was supposed to fit didn't (too large) so I ended up getting one from AutoZone that fit fine.   There have been a number of items that were cleaned and painted several years ago, but got scuffed up after being shuffled around the garage or basement, so there's been some time tied up in addressing those annoying little things too.

Even though I'm "retired" I don't seem to be home much, but I try to make sure I make progress on the Challenger by hanging at least one part on it every day.   Sometimes it's nothing more than piece of weather stripping or a water pump fitting, but over the last couple of weeks I can see my pile of parts getting slightly smaller.

My wife has largely suffered in silence for still having to park in the driveway during the winter.   While I was working in the basement, she came home after grocery shopping and had to make multiple trips outside (while it's 15 degrees F and windy) to shuttle the bags inside.   When I came upstairs, this chilly walking prompted a comment along the lines of "all this garage space, and the only car in it isn't working."   I guess I should have waited a little longer to ask what was for dinner.

70 Challenger Lover

I've done a few full resto jobs and by far, the most rewarding thing for me is watching the piles and boxes of parts get smaller and smaller.

js27

I spent my 7th wedding anniversary in the garage rebuilding my 440 for my 67 GTX.  Wife was not a happy camper but she is still with me and in Sept it will be 30 years.  They get over it--sometimes--LOL
JS27

Dakota

Front shocks are in.  Torsion bars are in. Deck lid and hood are back in (neither aligned yet). More importantly, the combination of getting the deck lid and hood moved,  along with moving the Challenger towards a wall, created enough space for my wife can park her car in the garage - first time since Spring of 2018 and just in time for a blizzard. 

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: Dakota on January 29, 2019, 11:53:40 AM
Front shocks are in.  Torsion bars are in. Deck lid and hood are back in (neither aligned yet). More importantly, the combination of getting the deck lid and hood moved,  along with moving the Challenger towards a wall, created enough space for my wife can park her car in the garage - first time since Spring of 2018 and just in time for a blizzard.

Maybe you could help me with my garage...I long for the days of having two cars in my two car garage. Lol

chargerdon

Regarding FC7 (Plum Crazy).   

I'm convinced this is the absolute best color for either of the E bodies.   I had my 74 Challenger painted that color with white interior and i almost never can go to even the gas station, without someone commenting on the beautiful color...what is that Purple?   Its Plum Crazy i tell them...and i always get a beautiful !!   This spring going to put on some stripes, but, havent decided which...  or even what color!  I'm thinking white of course, but, a metallic silver would also look nice.   

ToxicWolf

Morty426

Quote from: chargerdon on January 29, 2019, 03:19:46 PM
Regarding FC7 (Plum Crazy).   

I'm convinced this is the absolute best color for either of the E bodies.   I had my 74 Challenger painted that color with white interior and i almost never can go to even the gas station, without someone commenting on the beautiful color...what is that Purple?   Its Plum Crazy i tell them...and i always get a beautiful !!   This spring going to put on some stripes, but, havent decided which...  or even what color!  I'm thinking white of course, but, a metallic silver would also look nice.

I always consider Plum Crazy to be a Challenger color.  21% of 70 Challenger R/Ts were Plum Crazy. 

To me FY1 Lemon Twist is a 'cuda color.

But that's just me. 

chargerdon

yes, it is a Challenger color, because FC7 for barracuda was called In Violet ! 

js27

Plum Crazy-In Violet-is a awesome color on A-B-and E bodies. As far as I can remember back in the 70's Chrysler had a problem with FC7 paint. It tended to just break down and flake off. I remember seeing several cars one or 2 years old and the paint on the roof and fenders and hood  just flaking off. My friends sister bought a brand new 71 Duster 340 in FC7 and she had paint problems with it and another friend had a 70 T/A who also had flaking paint. So many cars had to get repainted so early in life. Probably why we don't see very many Original paint cars in good shape because of this. NOT saying that they are not out there just not many. Do any of you other old timers remember this happening ? Was it a paint or prep problem ?
JS27

Morty426

Quote from: js27 on January 30, 2019, 11:38:38 AM
Plum Crazy-In Violet-is a awesome color on A-B-and E bodies. As far as I can remember back in the 70's Chrysler had a problem with FC7 paint. It tended to just break down and flake off. I remember seeing several cars one or 2 years old and the paint on the roof and fenders and hood  just flaking off. My friends sister bought a brand new 71 Duster 340 in FC7 and she had paint problems with it and another friend had a 70 T/A who also had flaking paint. So many cars had to get repainted so early in life. Probably why we don't see very many Original paint cars in good shape because of this. NOT saying that they are not out there just not many. Do any of you other old timers remember this happening ? Was it a paint or prep problem ?
JS27

I remember it oxidizing real bad.  My only FC7 supposedly did not leave the dealership in FC7.  Supposedly the dealership had a hard time selling it.  The first owner demanded that they paint the car blue and install air conditioning (it's a V code) - so they installed a York compressor and on under dash AC unit.  Painted the car blue.

RUNCHARGER

Yup: It oxidized and it also fell off leaving the grey primer underneath. Where I lived those cars looked beat or had a repaint within a year or two if they lived outside.
Sheldon