Main Menu

70 Challenger Hellcat Killer

Started by mauls, May 26, 2020, 09:16:29 AM

Previous topic Next topic

mauls

Hey guys, figured i'd post my restoration progress here.  Long story short, resto modding a 70 slant 6 challenger with a modern gen 3 hemi with a whipple super charger all said in done, to well, beat myself in my 16 hellcat.  I'm going to somewhat clone these cars, but my goal is to keep as much as the interior as stock as possible.

My goal is to do as much work as myself. I'm an engine builder so many of these aspects are new to me, so I may have some dumb questions for some of you experts.  Plan is to leave the paint and interior up to the pro's and do the rest my self.  I'll post a pic of the car when I first got it, and how it sits now (5/26/20), then put some progress pics in the rest of the posts with details.

Let me know if you have any questions!

mauls

Day 1, first pulling it out of the old home and getting it to my garage.

Not sure why there's extra holes in the drivers side door?  Maybe they tried to mount an aftermarket side mirror... who knows.

Chryco Psycho

Awesome , looks like it was purple at some point in its life !!

mauls

It was B5 with White seats and blue interior panels.  The lighting looks weird in one of those pics haha

oldmoparbuff

mauls

Test fitting the new tires on the rear and pulled out this 7 1/4 rear end

315/35/18's mocked up

Will need to go with the leaf spring relocation kit

mauls

Took the car up to get the underside media blasted, it came out great.  Dropped the entire rear end and suspension components, primed and painted it.  Going with a Matte Pearl White to match the 16 challenger.

mauls

Did some research and found the closest wheels I could to match my hellcat brass monkey wheels.  Unfortunately they do not make any replica's in 18's so these are pretty close!

18x9 up front- 275/40-18 Nitto NT05's and 18x10 wheels in the rear with 315/35-18 Nitto NTORr's

mauls

New leaf springs, shocks, perches, and spring relocation kit installed.  Also 8 3/4 rear end with 489 case and 3:55 gears should pair alright with the 6 speed trans going in it.

Ride height isn't adjusted yet, but the wheels/tires fit great.  No mini tub needed, just the relocation kit, I went with the kit from Dr. Diff

mauls

Next up was the engine:

Originally built a 440 stroker, but after all the money that I had invested in it, i figured why the hell not just go with modern technology, and drop in a gen 3 hemi for around the same price.

Picked up a 6.1 hemi out of a 2006 charger, with harness, PCM and gas pedal for a great price.  Only had 70k miles, but me being me, I have to tear down everything I buy and go through it.  (Actually ended up with 2)

Upgraded to forged pistons so it will handle an power adder, and gapped the new rings appropriately

mauls

Next it was time to tackle the front suspension.

Went with an aftermarket tubular frame, coil over, rack and pinion and just drops right into the factory K Frame mounts on the 70.  Also went with the 6 piston wilwood front brakes.

All of the new front end components

Assembled

Paired with the 6.1

Will be mated up with the Tremec TR6060 trans

mauls

Time to get this sucker to run! 

Run stand mockup

Will be running TTI long tube headers, just used the factory manifolds/cats for back pressure

Here's a vid of it running.  Still playing with the tune with HP tuners  Might have to click the link to get the video to play
https://photos.app.goo.gl/jJ3VTGMZwFoFS4FYA

mauls

New Clutch, slave cylinder and trans installed

mauls

Out with the old, in with the new.  Fit like a glove!  (Minus the transmission modifications  :)   )

K frame coming out

New frame/engine-trans going in

And we're in!

GoodysGotaCuda

Nice!

I love my gen3, I'd really like to swap a 6.2L or stick a whipple on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs