Main Menu

70 Hemicuda in Italy

Started by antonellomopar, February 04, 2022, 08:58:54 AM

Previous topic Next topic

antonellomopar

some members have seen my 70 Hemicuda on our FB page , and have asked to post here too.
The car was built for export on January 15 1970, and imported in Italy on february 23 1970 . Order specified four speed, power windows, six way seat, console and rallye dash, but strangely no power steering or light package were ordered. Problems in getting the car licensed with italian plates proved impossible, and car was not sold until 1974, when a body shop owner purchased it at a largely discounted price. He drove around with garage plates until he broke the engine in 1979. Car was sold to a mechanic in exchange for some work on a DeTomaso. This mechanic removed the engine, left the car on the curb for some time, until he would store in the basement of his place. In the time spent on the curb, some dents ruined the engine, and when in the basement, the vinyl roof was damaged by a collapsed ceiling. Car was in Turing, about 80 miles from Milano, where I lived. Some friends who lived in Turin had told me about a broken Barracuda with a hole in the hood. Finally got the address, and went to look at the car. It was the Hemicuda. Immediately gave the guy a deposit, until I could come up with the entire sum. Price at the time was around 7000 dollars, very high for Italy in 1985, considering the wasted engine and lack of italian registration. But with only 10.000 km on the car, and no rust...I felt it was a good project. Wrote to the NHOA, and they told me that an export Hemi was a very rare car. SO set to work. Car was repainted in a wrong color, a Fiat orange that was very colse to EV2, and removed the vinyl top, since it was in bad shape and dint't like it.Wrote to Bob Mazzolini, and he got me all the parts I needed for the 426, like rods, crank, pistons and the like. For several years went to the Mopar Nats to get parts and documentation, and in 1992 finally the car was completed, and licensed. Drove the car  to many meetes in Italy and Swizerland, enjoying the car and showing to european fans. AFter some years, decided to park the car until I could restore properly. Six or seven years ago, brought the car to bare metal, and repainted in the correct EV2 shade. Power steering was added, and engine was freshened. It was only driven 8000 km since I had restored the car the first time, for a total of 18.000 on the odometer. Drove some more, but was not happy about general condition of the car. So last year decided to finish the last restoration. Paint was sanded with 2000 grit, and polished to high gloss. Vinyl top was re applied, and all stainless was polished. Carbs and valve covers were sent to Scott Harms Smith for restoration, while the original alternator was sent to Jim Rodge for refinishing. Electronic ignition was removed, and orginal distributor was restored. A Correct Federal power steering pump with cooler was located and installed in place. Steering wheel was removed and a rimblow wheel was installed, just following personal preference. Interior and weatherstrip were left alone, they are the originals and are in perfect condion. After all this work, car was consodered to be finished and ready to be enjoyed once again. It has been in my possession for 36 years, and was driven a grand total of 21.000 km. I have  no plans for selling.

antonellomopar

Some old pics of the car, when I went to look the first time, when it was unloaded in my garage, and at the first meet after restoration, Churwalden in 1993

Floyd

antonellomopar

Odometer when I bought the car was reading 10.000 km..or 6000 miles.
Pictures at meets were from 1993
pics of car driving were from same age...before vinyl top was reapplied three years ago

antonellomopar

some pics from last year

Mopsquad

Wow!  Great car and pics!  And thank for sharing your story.

anlauto

AWESOME CAR  :drooling: Thanks for sharing the story with us  :drinkingbud:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Jay Bee

One of the best stories ever, thanks for taking the time to write it all out and sharing it here 'cause I'll never get a Facebook/Meta account. BUT, I have to ask (maybe you said on FB), what was up with those rectangle tail lights. They look like they might be from some GM.

PS, your car is awesome!

antonellomopar

The taillight thing: there were some Fiat taillight adapted to have amber directional lights, as mandated by italian laws. They were used for registering the car at the DMV and then discarded.

anlauto

If you ever have an issue with authorities over the tail light situation, you could always do some creative wiring and with an amber bulb in the reverse light area, should give you an amber signal light  :brainiac:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Wayne

Great story, thanks for sharing.  When you have to travel to another country for car parts you can see the love people have for these cars!
1970 Cuda 383 4spd red on red
Backyard Hotrods @ Youtube, Facebook & Instagram
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2bd5dyuOKCJT-kWhdEGm3A

headejm

La tua macchina e bellissima! Soria fantastica!  :1place:

cudamadd

Fantastic story. And awesome photos. Very nice and rare car as an export car . Thank you so much for posting this . :australia:

Spikedog08

Really glad you posted this here!  Very cool!   :worship:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

antonellomopar

Very happy to have posted my car here. The best things about forum is that evrything is here to see in 3 years or more...while FB posts are lost and forgotten.
Will post my other cars in a few days....