Main Menu

71 340 Cuda Convertible EL5 Bahama Yellow Billboard

Started by cudaize, March 31, 2021, 05:39:56 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cudaize

This is a 71 Cuda convertible 340 automatic Bahama yellow with a billboard that I have owned since 1989.  I finally finished up the restoration this past September and have been meaning to get together a post and share with everyone.  Since the scheduled build date is 331 and if the car was actually built that day, today would be its' 50th birthday.  I will post some pictures tonight and some more along with other information in the next couple days.

Highlights
- Retains original drivetrain including engine, transmission, and differential.
- Restoration was performed so the car would appear as close to as when it rolled off the assembly line.  Much research was done to rebuild original components, find production line correct NOS pieces, and how to duplicate assembly line processes.
- In addition to the drivetrain a fair amount of components are original to the car including alternator, starter, wiper motor all of which I restored myself.
- Most of the restoration I performed myself.  The items I had others do include most bodywork, all the yellow paint work, ( I did the grey underbody), billboard decal, convertible top assembly, (I did all the work of cleaning, painting and adjusting the mechanism and windows), radiator rebuild, hood hinge rebuild, cylinder head work, zinc, cadmium and chrome plating (I did most of the prep work before sending out)

Options include S74 fast ratio steering, variable speed wipers, power top, AM radio, automatic with console, five spoke road wheels, billboard decal, high impact paint.

Matt M

You did a great job with that car.
It looks fantastic
You should be very proud of the car.
Thanks for sharing.

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

anlauto

Incredible restoration of an even more incredible car :drooling:, great to see another one save....hurry up a PDI  the car so we can see it with the trim rings on :D
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

cudaize

cudaize

Some interior shots, even a date coded boot.

headejm

Beautiful car!  :1place:

Must say I'm stumped on the last photo you posted.  :notsure:

71vert340

@cudaize, your top boot has the same date as the one in my 71 Challenger vert. Cool.
Terry W.

E74cuda

Brads70

76orangewagon

Wow...great job on the cuda, I must say it's nice to see another Mounds Rd Corporate Blue 340.   

cudamadd

Very very nice car beautiful job on the restoration  :australia:

cudaize

Quote from: headejm on March 31, 2021, 07:13:49 PM
Beautiful car!  :1place:

Must say I'm stumped on the last photo you posted.  :notsure:

That picture is the back side of the top boot showing the date coding on the vinyl. 

cudaize

Quote from: 71vert340 on March 31, 2021, 08:27:25 PM
@cudaize, your top boot has the same date as the one in my 71 Challenger vert. Cool.
Terry W.

Does your boot have any stamping designating it as a Challenger boot?  I don't have a picture of it, but somewhere this boot is stamped BARR.  Not all original boots I've seen were stamped like this.  I'm not sure if it may have just faded over the years as it probably wasn't as durable as the stamping shown here that was put on when the vinyl was made.