Main Menu

71 B5 Cuda 340 4 speed

Started by Shane Kelley, May 04, 2017, 10:09:08 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Shane Kelley

Wiper stuff

anlauto

@SF-Resto will chime in with his "turn around time" I hope....
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Shane Kelley

Rear Axle assembly. The red oxide one is the original one to the car. 3.91  I ran the 3.23 for a while. That's the cast one.

anlauto

In 32+ years of restoring E Bodies, I've never come across a red oxide center section like that....I wonder if that was a factory replacement, like a warranty deal of some sort. ???? The markings look factory, but the assembly line ones were never painted or primed like that :alan2cents:

Looks like a Mustang rear end :rofl:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Cuda Cody

Yup, that's a new one for me.  Never seen a red 3rd member, but it does look like it's originally from the factory with all the correct markings on it.   :twothumbsup:  Neat to see something like that.

If you want to add some inspection numbers back on it, here's the artwork for the stamps (free to download for members):

https://www.e-bodies.org/resources/mopar-stamps-stencils-paint-ink-part-numbers/

Shane Kelley

Quote from: Cuda Cody on May 05, 2017, 01:10:47 PM
Yup, that's a new one for me.  Never seen a red 3rd member, but it does look like it's originally from the factory with all the correct markings on it.   :twothumbsup:  Neat to see something like that.

If you want to add some inspection numbers back on it, here's the artwork for the stamps (free to download for members):

https://www.e-bodies.org/resources/mopar-stamps-stencils-paint-ink-part-numbers/
I have seen it on a couple other 71's. GYC did a 71 Charger a while back that had it. While I can't say for 100% that it's the original 3rd member to the car. The date on ring gear are very close to build date. Another odd thing is the engine and trans build date. 1/70 on both. VIN#'s intact on both.

anlauto

I wouldn't use GYC as a reference :alan2cents:

Shane Kelley

Quote from: anlauto on May 05, 2017, 02:14:41 PM
I wouldn't use GYC as a reference :alan2cents:

I wouldn't use them either.  I just happened to see it on the car on a preview. I don't watch the show.  I also saw it on a 71 RR I had way back in the day. It was a 340 car with a open 3.23. It was a pretty untouched car. That was in 85. It's the only one I ever saw in person for myself besides this one. Ring gear date was 9/70 on this one. I didn't buy the car new so anything is possible.

RUNCHARGER

I have in the past encoutered red oxide third members however I never took the time to investigate.
Sheldon

SF-Resto

Restored Wiper Motor, heater motor and hood latch.
Very busy turnaround approx. 6 weeks, for you Alan it's longer  :)
BTW most 71 did not get the goop treatment on the wiper motor switch plate  :alan2cents:

Cuda Cody

:drooling:  they look to nice  to use!  That's art right there.   :inlove:

RUNCHARGER

Nice work Stephan! You won't see a correct latch like that very often.
Sheldon

anlauto

Here's the thing about the red oxide third member.....IN MY OPINION......

Most people will say they're restoring their car for "themselves" ...they don't care what other people think and have no plans on having it judged. They will restore their car how they found it, and be entirely happy with that, and I'm 100% okay with that. It's their car, restore it as you wish :ohyeah:

But when you find odd things like this red third member, that don't fit the "norm" or like the argent grill that was never supposed to be there....You're much better off restoring the car to fit in the norm of how the cars are supposed to be when new, therefore when people look at your car, they won't walk away talking about the "wrong" things they found.....Nothing worse then taking your car to a cruise night or local show and have some jackarse tell you...."hey this is wrong....that is wrong"... :pullinghair: after all your hard work.

I can tell you now...Your paint work is a 1000 times nicer than most restored cars out there, but 99% of the people out there are going to look right past all the hard work, when the details are incorrect. :alan2cents:

CudaMoparRay

Fantastic world class type restoration. I have a '71 also so will keep an eye on this thread for sure.

realn96

Quote from: Shane Kelley on May 05, 2017, 08:16:36 AM
Quote from: anlauto on May 05, 2017, 07:16:40 AM
Do you do all your own body and paint work ? If so.... :worship: WOW :wowzers:
I manage the Collision Center.  Prior to that I was a body man. Running the shop allows me to do my cars here on the weekends. I do all own work. Body, paint and mechanical. I usually have a restoration going on with other cars besides mine also. Helps finance my personal projects. Currently building a 69 Formula S 383 4 speed car for a friend. Super nice build also. I posts progress pics on my Facebook page.
Thanks for the complement!  I have always taken pride in my work.

that's funny! i have a 71 340 4spd cuda and a 69 383 s. I finished the 69 then started right away on the 71!
Looks great. Did a beautiful job. Like Cody said, You should be proud!! :drinkingbud: