A.G.A.R. Reassembly Time...All done

Started by anlauto, March 09, 2017, 04:50:29 PM

Previous topic Next topic

1ownr

Terrific craftsmanship, Alan!

See you in Carlisle.

judy & Charlie

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

larry4406

Alan

On Post 9 you had a link to your website showing the tear down.  On those pictures, it looks like new quarters (AMD I'm guessing). 

Do you have any progress pictures showing the work on the quarters?  Skins with butt weld seams or the AMD reproductions that have been reworked by Ken Hopperdietzel?  If skins where did you do the seams?  Or does your guy make the flange and modify the upper belt line area like Ken does?

I'm looking for step by step details and pictures on making hard top quarters work on a vert.  In particular, the top trim area where they are different.  Seems many retain the original belt line area and butt weld it to the new quarter after cutting off the sail panel.

anlauto

@larry4406
This is MY opinion....

The full quarters installed on this Cuda were modified and supplied by Ken, who I believe is a member here.

Unfortunately the owner of this car had his doubts about the abilities of my metal man Keith Sim, and insisted we use Ken's products for his rare and valuable convertible., regardless of my opinion. He paid ken's price and then a crazy amount to have them shipped to Canada and then subject to our tax, bringing the total amount to over $4000.00 CDN.

Ken's quarters proved very nice upon arrival. There was only two slight complaints Keith had which were: 1) high and low dimples all along the crimped edge that would require a little body filler (super tiny amount). 2) Ken makes them on a jig with every panel being the exact dimensions as factory original pieces. We found one side actually had to be trimmed and modified to fit this particular car.

We feel that a qualified metal man with the proper tools can easily copy the stepping that Ken does on the Cuda panels. One benefit of doing the panel to fit the car is the fact that it will "fit" the car. The other benefit is the cost savings. We since done a Challenger convertible using hardtop quarters and we have one more Barracuda heading into his shop this month. Keith charges me about 6 hours per side to convert a hardtop quarter $420 CDN and a AMD quarter cost me about $750 bringing the total to $2350.00 CDN for a pair. :bigmoney:

Not at all a dig about Ken's work, his convertible quarter panels are very nice quality.

I just don't feel he's the only one in the world that can successfully convert hardtop panels.... :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

larry4406

Thanks Alan.

Would appreciate if you could document and share any "progress conversion" photos of your upcoming barracuda vert resto.

anlauto

Challenger convertible quarters are slightly different from hardtop quarters in the belt trim area. The area on a convertible is actually wider. Here a couple of shots of the Challenger ones he did.

anlauto

I'll try and get Barracuda pictures, but he works pretty fast....I miss one day....I miss a lot. Now he's moved his shop as well. used to be 7 mins away, now he's 90 mins away. :crying:

AH1S

I guess I can chime in. Alan restored the Cuda for me. At the time I had no idea who Keith was  I have dealt with Ken in the past and I know he is passionate about ebody convertibles. What it came down to was Ken's experience he has converted more than 100 ebody quarters. Plain and simple.

larry4406

Quote from: AH1S on October 02, 2017, 01:51:13 PM
I guess I can chime in. Alan restored the Cuda for me. At the time I had no idea who Keith was  I have dealt with Ken in the past and I know he is passionate about ebody convertibles. What it came down to was Ken's experience he has converted more than 100 ebody quarters. Plain and simple.

Fair enough. A truly beautiful car!

I'm just looking for detailed "how to knowledge" on the quarters. Seems like details are slim as if folks are hoarding a black art. I don't have a deep wallet.