Total Car reassembly

Started by Chryco Psycho, February 19, 2017, 09:46:02 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Chryco Psycho

As a basic guideline
While the body is out being blasted & painted
I generally rebuild everything while waiting for the body to be finished
you can start to restore & assemble many  of the sub components
many of the parts can be powder coated serviced rebuilt & be waiting .
Diff & brakes can be assembled
K frame front suspension & brakes
Engine trans clutch etc
Wiper motor
Bushings & ball joints replaced
Steering box rebuilt or replaced with something better like Firm Feel or Steer & Gear
Different t bars & leaf springs or control arms

when you get the body back
-  install brake & fuel lines first while everything is out of the way
-  install the fuel tank & connections fill tube etc
- the rear suspension & diff can go in
- Next work on the firewall installing insulation , heater box , park brake , pedals , master cylinder & booster , wiper motor & linkage , dash & wiring , wiring to the rear of the car can be installed
You can  as well as headlight wiring through the engine bay also  install the horns  battery tray , start relay etc , Adjust the hood so it closes properly too if it is not already done
- Then install the engine , K frame Brakes & steering , I like to have all of the wiring , hoses , ign wires , carb , fan , headers/manifolds etc installed on the engine first , roll the whole assy under the car & install from the bottom this minimizes working over the fenders to connect everything up
- Now you can go under the car & install trans x member , T bars , Driveshaft , connect all of the brake lines parking brake & clutch linkage or shift linkage & cooler lines ,  install exhaust , bleed brakes .
- Complete all the engine bay connections , wire harness ,battery cables , install rad , shroud & hoses .
- install the steering column & connect the wiring
- You should now be able to start the engine & do a break in & if nessisary & any leaks or problems are easily accessible
- Install vinyl roof & trim
- finish the body trim lights bumpers grille valances mirrors chrome trim
- assemble door hardware , handles & glass before install chrome along the top of the doors  ! also install 1/4 glass & adjust .
- I leave the interior for near the last Headliner first while interior is bare good to find a leaking heater core before you install the new carpet for example !
- Next carpet , seat ,  panels , seatbelts , trim .
- Last is the front & rear windows & trim just in case something in the dash is not working & it needs to be removed it is much easier without the windsheild in place !!

Feel free to add to this with other tips

70chall440

As a supplement to the above tips, I would offer the following;

- think through the reassembly carefully so that you do not have remove something you just installed due to fitment

- prior to actually assembling things (especially those things that require glue, grease, etc) test fit them if even just ensuring you have the right components on hand

- chase threads before assembling, especially after paint. It takes time but will alleviate surprises.

- don't out run your headlights, meaning do things in a methodical manner. It is hard not to want to get it running, hear it run, etc but take your time to do each thing as good as you can before proceeding.

- lastly; I tend to focus on accomplishing one aspect/thing at a time, however there are times when you might need to do something else when things start going sideways and you are frustrated. In these times (assuming you still want to work on the car), find other supporting things to do like clean some small parts, assemble something relatively easy. I find it gives me a mental break and more importantly keeps from breaking something else..

My motto is that everything has to be done, so the order in not as important as the work itself. Only you can decide "how good" is good enough. If you look at something and can honestly say/think it is good then you are fine, however if you look at it and it bothers you, it is not done.
Mopar or no car!!!

Cudalbs

Everything written so far is very helpful and makes perfect sense, my only addition to the process, mostly because I learned it he hard way :thinking: is to MAKE SURE THE PAINT HAS BEEN REMOVED from any surface that is accepting parts or pieces that need to be grounded. It took me a while to identify all of these spots and get my electrical system up and running correctly. I know it's had to start scratching off brand new paint  :Thud: but bad grounds are a problem.
"Love those round taillight cars"

anlauto

How long should the re-assembly take if everything is ready ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

soundcontrol

Thats a nice list, I kinda keep everything in my head, but now I really see the point with a list. All the first part, (when the body is out) I have almost everything done, working on it, or new, except for the wiper motor, forgot about that.

I still see mine as a kind of "rolling resto" even if the car is completely apart now. I wanna make it perfect in body and engine, drive it and worry about interior, AC, top, sound system etc later. I don't even think I'm gonna paint (the outside) it yet. I wanna paint it myself and I'm just not good enough yet.

Roadman

Just want to agree with @70chall440  on the point of chasing all the threads with a tap and die set. Will save alot of time as the car goes together.    :alan2cents:

70chall440

Quote from: anlauto on February 19, 2017, 10:49:11 AM

Obviously 2 days, just watch overhaulin..  :)
Mopar or no car!!!

Roadman

Quote from: 70chall440 on February 19, 2017, 01:42:02 PM
Quote from: anlauto on February 19, 2017, 10:49:11 AM

Obviously 2 days, just watch overhaulin..  :)

:rofl: :rofl:  :haha:   :haha:

Chryco Psycho

I all the sub components are ready to go the reassembly is very fast

nsmall

Yeah, love this thread.  How do I "pin" it or save it?  No worries if this is not possible.  I can always always save the link.

Timbbuc2

Quote from: Roadman on February 19, 2017, 01:28:33 PM
      Just want to agree with @70chall440  on the point of chasing all the threads with a tap and die set. Will save alot of time as the car goes together.    :alan2cents:
Thats a good idea to chase the threads :clapping:makes sense
Get in, I'll drive

Cuda Cody

@nsmall   The easiest way to track and follow threads is to click the "Notify" button at the top or bottom of the thread.  That adds it to your the threads you follow in your profile.  You can see all the threads you follow by clicking your profile and looking at the Notifications.  (You might have to click the fly-out arrow if you do not see the menu on the left in your profile)

Quote from: nsmall on February 26, 2017, 10:13:23 PM
Yeah, love this thread.  How do I "pin" it or save it?  No worries if this is not possible.  I can always always save the link.