Main Menu

'71 R/T, fixing a parts car

Started by Flatdad, May 30, 2018, 06:37:17 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Morty426

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on June 02, 2018, 08:10:10 AM
Wrong paint dabs on the diff, incorrect texture on the primer, I could go on and on :D.

LOL  :crazytalk:

Flatdad

Quote from: Morty426 on June 01, 2018, 10:18:35 PM
Great progress so far. 

What are you going to make it into?  A 383?  Stroker 400?  What color?  What transmission. 

Looks like one on the fenders is off a 70

Since the 400 already ran, I'm going to leave it in there and add bolt-ons.

As it sits: '77 400, stock 452's, likely 7.2:1 compression, smashed hooker headers, Edelbrock TM6

Planned part: Recently rebuilt 915's, .020 head gaskets, 7.8-8.0 CR, Used Flowtech headers, Used Summit 6401 cam+lifters, Reuse the Edelbrock TM6, Rebuilt Holley 3310-2 (750cfm vac sec), new timing set, cheap summit filter assembly, + any required new gaskets/bolts.

If I find out the 400 is hurt, or the bores are garbage, I'll take a chance on a motorhome 440 and just add the same parts (except the intake).

Flatdad

The quarter skins I bought just aren't going to cut it, its going to need full quarters eventually. What brand has the least amount of rework?

Also, I noticed the new trunk pan is a bit different from the original (maybe shock access holes), any other differences I might have to worry about? I welded the original fuel tank mounts to the new trunk and they seemed to fit okay.

Cuda Cody

Morty426

Quote from: Flatdad on June 14, 2018, 11:45:19 AM
The quarter skins I bought just aren't going to cut it, its going to need full quarters eventually. What brand has the least amount of rework?

Also, I noticed the new trunk pan is a bit different from the original (maybe shock access holes), any other differences I might have to worry about? I welded the original fuel tank mounts to the new trunk and they seemed to fit okay.

AMD is probably the best bet

Trunks changed in very late 71 for the shock access hole.  Side access (easier) started around May or June

RUNCHARGER

I agree: AMD for full quarters. When you tack them on check for valance, gas filler, trunk and door fit no matter which ones you buy.
Sheldon

Flatdad

More "progress"

The original spare tire mount wasn't very nice shape, but good enough for a driver. I wire wheeled it off as best I could, ran a tap over the threads, sprayed it with rustoleum rusty metal primer, and MIG'd it to the new pan.

I needed to reattach the trunk latch bracket to the new pan. The bracket was rough shape where it had rusted free from the original trunk, so I made a repair brace and screwed it to the new pan to test the latch location. The lid latched fine, but the brace and bracket still need welded. Side braces will be added later as well.

Brads70

Maybe look into a gas kit for your mig welder?  :alan2cents: It's a lot less work with the gas kit.

Flatdad

My brother was up this weekend. On a whim we decided to hang a quarter skin.

While removing the old quarter, we ran into brazing and rivets. Yup, this quarter's been replaced before. Looks like it used to be nos, too bad its junk now. We clamped the new skin in place and test fitted the rear bumper. Surprisingly the fit was good, though, I can already tell the rear valance fitment is going to be work.

So you might wonder, why use the skins if I'm doing quarters later? I'd like to do full quarters at the same time as the new roof, but I'm not doing the roof for possibly another year or two. Want to enjoy it on the road for a while first.

Morty426

Save the old quarter so you know where the side scoop goes.  DAMHIK

Flatdad

Well.... I caved.

Full AMD quarters showed up on Friday along with outer wheelhouses. I just couldn't stomach the thought of welding the skins to the rusty metal at the top of the quarter.

I spent most of the weekend trying to rebuild the passenger rocker and lower door jam, but all I got done was removing the old rusty bits and making a brace.

Progress was slowed substantially when my spot weld cutter broke. Had to resort to hacking with the cutoff wheel, tin snips, vice grips, and pry-bars. Rough going but the bad stuff has to come out!

Here's some pics of my butchery, look away if you have a weak stomach.  :barf:

halftrackman

Well, hope one day to see your RT on the road,  You sure have a lot of will power.   Thanks for the pictures too.  I lived in portage Indiana back in the old days, when all these cars were new.  That was the good old days, Also life is still good today.  fun fun  :cheers:

HP_Cuda

Never say never, anything is possible!!!

1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

nsmall

HP_Cuda

Here ya go!

1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200