Main Menu

'71 R/T, fixing a parts car

Started by Flatdad, May 30, 2018, 06:37:17 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudakiller70

Wow didn't know you started with  :unbelievable: that HP!   Hope it goes well flatdad gook luck on it :bigthumb:

Flatdad

Could anybody school me on the difference between a '70 and a '71 fender? At Norwalk this weekend I bought a passenger fender because it was cheap and mine's rotted out on the top-front area.

The guy wrote '71 on the fender, but I noticed some bondo worms roughly in the 'challenger' badge area. Unsure of whether those holes were from a dent puller or a badge. If it turns out to be a '70 fender, will my '71 parts still fit properly?

(Holy Crap HP_Cuda! I thought mine was a tough start, nice work!)

RUNCHARGER

Yes, they'll fit. The biggest difference is at the front of the fender on the inner structure there will be a large cutout on the 71 fender whereas the 70 should not have that cutout. The cutout is to fit 72 and later grille and was just an early change.
Sheldon

blown motor

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on July 30, 2018, 08:05:45 AM
Yes, they'll fit. The biggest difference is at the front of the fender on the inner structure there will be a large cutout on the 71 fender whereas the 70 should not have that cutout. The cutout is to fit 72 and later grille and was just an early change.

Wow! It amazes me what some of you people know. That's why this forum is so good.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

YYZ

Quote from: Flatdad on July 30, 2018, 08:01:57 AM
Could anybody school me on the difference between a '70 and a '71 fender? At Norwalk this weekend I bought a passenger fender because it was cheap and mine's rotted out on the top-front area.

The guy wrote '71 on the fender, but I noticed some bondo worms roughly in the 'challenger' badge area. Unsure of whether those holes were from a dent puller or a badge. If it turns out to be a '70 fender, will my '71 parts still fit properly?

Per @RUNCHARGER it will absolutely fit.  However, do compare the location of the hood adjustment bumper with the other fender.  On later fenders the location changed and you'll have an odd-looking mismatch in the engine compartment.  Later fenders also have an oval slot on that same section -- it all depends on how particular you want to get (either weld it up, or drill out the other side to match, or just ignore it!)

Flatdad

Small update, At the nationals this year I scored some nick-knack items:

kick panels, my originals had speaker holes cut out
floor brights/dims switch
battery hold down + hooks
coil mount

I decided I'd wasted enough time fiddling around trying to make rocker patch pieces and finally ordered an AMD passenger rocker, and passenger rear door jam. When the box showed up, the rocker was dented and the door jam was for the wrong side!  :tired:

Anyway, the new rocker piece is sectioned and ready to be prepped to weld into place. If I ever get around to fixing this doggone rocker, I'll post up some pics for you guys/gals.

I need one or both of these (see pic) anybody know what to call it and where I can get one? it holds the quarter window track and it bolts to the top of the rear rocker.

JS29

@Flatdad  I think you would have better luck posting that in the parts wanted section.  :alan2cents:

Morty426

Quote from: YYZ on July 30, 2018, 07:52:55 PM
Quote from: Flatdad on July 30, 2018, 08:01:57 AM

Per @RUNCHARGER it will absolutely fit.  However, do compare the location of the hood adjustment bumper with the other fender.  On later fenders the location changed and you'll have an odd-looking mismatch in the engine compartment.  Later fenders also have an oval slot on that same section -- it all depends on how particular you want to get (either weld it up, or drill out the other side to match, or just ignore it!)

And the 70 fender will have holes for the "Challenger" emblem and the "R/T" emblem if an R/T without Longitudinal Stripe

Morty426

Quote from: Flatdad on September 07, 2018, 12:08:33 PM
Small update, At the nationals this year I scored some nick-knack items:

kick panels, my originals had speaker holes cut out
floor brights/dims switch
battery hold down + hooks
coil mount

I decided I'd wasted enough time fiddling around trying to make rocker patch pieces and finally ordered an AMD passenger rocker, and passenger rear door jam. When the box showed up, the rocker was dented and the door jam was for the wrong side!  :tired:

Anyway, the new rocker piece is sectioned and ready to be prepped to weld into place. If I ever get around to fixing this doggone rocker, I'll post up some pics for you guys/gals.

I need one or both of these (see pic) anybody know what to call it and where I can get one? it holds the quarter window track and it bolts to the top of the rear rocker.

You need one side or both sides?  I bet I can hook you up.  Just PM me. 

Flatdad

Pics of my old kick panels for PLUM72, if ya want these freebies let me know.

Chryco Psycho

Great to see pix of the progress  :twothumbsup:

70chall440

Mopar or no car!!!

Flatdad

Update, the project is not dead. The battery for my digital camera is refusing to take a charge, a new girlfriend has taken up most of my freetime, and I'm lucky to get a couple hours a week to focus on projects like this.

I've welded in the new rocker repair section, fixed the inner structure above it, and have started to repair the door jam 'foot'. My brother and dad came over a couple nights and we removed the rest of the quarter panel up to the roof seam, and removed the rear deck filler panel.

Next we fitted the new AMD quarter, Goodmark deck filler, Goodmark trunk dropoff, and AMD trunk gutter. It all fit pretty well considering how many major structural items had been replaced. Last night, my brother worked on the tail panel corner while I ground welds and made patch pieces for the door jam.

By far the biggest improvement was kicking that Chinese MIG welder to the curb and buying a new Hobart 140. Its saving soooo much time and frustration. I'm stupid for not getting a good welder earlier.

Here's a 'Before' picture of the rocker splice section:

Morty426

He double check your deck filler.  I have seen repos that are way to long.  The one I had fit OVER an BOS piece I have. 

70 Challenger Lover

Bad ass project going on here. I actually like the idea of making it a solid driver and getting it back on the road opposed to restoration. I have a 70 non RT Challenger as bad as this one that I was working on (until my adhd kicked in). I truly can appreciate the work involved here! It's a battle removing every bolt and most break off.