Main Menu

72 Rallye Project

Started by PatO, December 29, 2017, 09:03:57 AM

Previous topic Next topic

PatO

Picks of the motor, getting ready to get returned home almost 4 years after it was pulled.

jimynick

Looks awesome! May I suggest pulling a plastic grocery bag over the carb? I see you've got the exhaust nicely covered and it'd be a sin to have some piece of "poo-poo" accidentally get into the carb/intake.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

nsmall

Looking greeeaaattt.  Yes, another vote to cover that carb.  Sounds like its been a long journey and you are getting close.   :banana:

Chryco Psycho

That is awesome , bet you cannot wait to get it back in place  :bigthumb:

PatO

See if I can continue this morning.  Couldn't finish up loading pics last night.  After I had the engine and K frame pretty much ready to go, my brother (no mechanical experience) came over to help last Saturday morning.

Just using a floor jack, jack stands some concrete blocks and boards, we lifted the front of the car far enough to slide the dolly/motor under. Took the carb off for a few more inches of clearance.  We then lowered the car, raised the dolly a bit and bolted everything in.   :wrenching:

Took us an hour and a half all total. If we had to do it again, we figure about half an hour to do. :bigthumb:

PatO

So here it sits, back at home.  Felt real good to get this hurdle past me.

I did have paper towels stuffed in the carb.  Years ago, I lost track of a small nut. I was amazed at how fast it made it into the engine, past a valve and cost me many dollars and hours.  :thumbdown:  I'm going to convert a piece of tupperware into a temporary carb hat this weekend.

Next week I'm ordering all the suspension parts, headers and exhaust system.  REALLY looking forward to getting that done.

RUNCHARGER

That looks good. That's always a nice hurdle to get behind you.
Sheldon

YellowThumper

Very nice progress.
Looking forward to the fireup
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Chryco Psycho

Once you have pulled or installed an engine from below you never go back , it is so easy to do .
Congrats on getting it back in place  :twothumbsup:

Timbbuc2

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on September 24, 2018, 10:11:00 PM
Once you have pulled or installed an engine from below you never go back , it is so easy to do .
Congrats on getting it back in place  :twothumbsup:
I will second that,
Get in, I'll drive

PatO

It's been awhile again so I'll post up some pictures of my progress since last fall.

After the engine was in I got started on the front suspension. First in were the QA1 upper and lower control arms with adjustable strut rods.

I was real pleased with the quality and fitment.

Cuda Cody

Looking great!!!   :clapping:  So close to driving it!!!   :banana:  :burnout:

PatO

Next were the new front spindles and dust shields. For those in the know, you'll notice that like a few others I had them in reversed.

PatO

Here is a picture with the new disc on.

PatO

At this point I installed the calipers and then as I started to install the brake lines I realized something was amiss. I searched some posts on this site and soon realized I had swapped the spindles from left to right. This positioned the calipers at the rear of the disc instead of at the front.  :steamingmad: :steamingmad:

Ok, took a beer break in my lawn chair for a half and hour and went back and swapped the assemblies. brake lines went right on this time. This picture is as it appears now.