Main Menu

73 Cuda resto

Started by Deezel, October 19, 2023, 08:59:49 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Deezel

FINALLY, after a lot of set-backs finding a reputable bodyshop that I'm happy with, the Cuda is in for body and paint!!

I bought the car in May of 2022 pretty much knowing I was going to strip it down and build a car to my liking. I drove the car over the summer of 2022, then started to tear it down in preparation of the restoration in November of 2022. After being strung along and let down by 3 different shops, I finally found one that was willing to take on the project.

This will be a fairly longish build that I don't anticipate being finished until the spring/summer of 2025. I decided to document it here as I KNOW I'll be needing some help along the way to get this car finished.

Here's what it looked like when I bought it:

And here it is now, tore down and getting ready for the blaster:

It'll be interesting to see what's hiding under all the old paint and filler! I will try to continue to update this thread, as much as I can, as time goes on.

Lonnie
1973 'cuda

Cuda Cody

70_440-6Cuda

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

cnm2215

You, sir, are my new best friend. I just bought a '73 Cuda three weeks ago. I'm new to all of this, but excited to learn and grow!

anlauto

Looks like it was nice when you bought it ! :bigthumb:
Looks pretty darn solid :twothumbsup:

What are your "long term" plans for it ? :wowzers:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Deezel

Quote from: anlauto on October 19, 2023, 12:34:43 PM
Looks like it was nice when you bought it ! :bigthumb:
Looks pretty darn solid :twothumbsup:

What are your "long term" plans for it ? :wowzers:

It's one of those 20/20 cars, looks great at 20 feet and 20 mph! Has some rust issues in lower 1/4's. Floors and frames are all 100% with only light surface rust. Car was definitely taken care of during its lifespan.

Car will be stripped down and anything that needs to be replaced, will get replaced. I'm kinda going in the direction of restomod with some modern upgrades but still retain the "old school" cool about these cars.

Going to keep the car a hardtop and not replace the vinyl roof. The Dashtop interior panels will all get replaced with new Metro panels and will be black instead of white. Have already ordered new custom seat covers and interior parts from Legendary that will match paint scheme of car. I'll reveal the color once it's been painted.

I do have the numbers matching 340 and 727 for it but am leaning towards a Blueprint 408 stroker with an overdrive tranny. Haven't decided on what tranny to use yet. I have an All American Billet serpentine kit for LA motors. I have checked and this will fit on Blueprints 408. It will be cooled with a Cold Case 26" rad with dual electric fans. Motor will be fuelled by a Holley Sniper 2 with Hyperspark and new Holley fuel tank with electric pump inside.

The 8 3/4 rear will probably get replaced with a dana 60, most likely with a 3.91 sure grip. It will get narrowed and I will install a 1" spring relocation kit to fit a bit more meat on the back. I'm going to put the original drivetrain aside for the next owner (in about 15 years after I'm done enjoying the car) should they want to bring the car back to factory condition. It is a BS23H car with all documentation so someone may want to restore it to factory spec in the future.

Steering column will be an ididit tilt with Dakota Digital RTX rallye gauges, cruise control and GPS speedo module. Vintage Air has already been purchased as well. I will be rewiring with the American Autowire wiring kit.

Suspension will be Hotchkis TVS with QA1 k-member and lower control arms. Will also replace torsion bars with larger ones. Steering box will be replaced with a Borgeson.

Still deciding on brakes but pretty sure it will be Wilwood disc all around.

Lonnie
1973 'cuda

Deezel

Car is blasted and I'm quite surprised at what was hiding under the old paint/filler. For the most part, the car is pretty solid so I really don't have too much to complain about.
I will have to replace a few things that I thought would be OK but it's all part of the game I guess.

Lonnie
1973 'cuda

ebodyproducts

That is one of the cleanest cars I've seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
E-Body Products
www.ebodyproducts.com
606-481-9014

Deezel

I finally got a pallet of parts in from AMD! Delivered it to my body man so he can get a good start on it in the new year. Still waiting on the roof skin but was told it should be here in the first week of Jan.

I also picked up my dash frame and parts that I had blasted and painted. There's no way I would have ever got it looking as good as the shop did. The dash pad I received from Dash Pad Pros fits and looks absolutely perfect. It's hard to believe there are so many horror stories about getting a dash pad from them. Guess I was one of the lucky ones...

Here it is almost fully assembled and ready to be wired. 

Still deciding on what stereo to put in but I'm leaning towards a factory look reproduction stereo that has all the new technology installed, like bluetooth.

Lonnie
1973 'cuda

nsmall

Thanks for sharing.  Awesome project.

usraptor

That dash looks great. I agree to go with an original type looking radio with modern guts. My 'Cuda came with the original 8-track so I had it restored and put it back in the dash.  Along with a box of old 8 tracks I put on the passenger floor, the 8-track radio often gets more comments/compliments than any other part of the car at car shows. :banana: Looking forward to watching the restoration come along.

cnm2215

Very nice! From where did you get your new rallye instrument panel?

Deezel

Quote from: cnm2215 on January 31, 2024, 08:30:16 AMVery nice! From where did you get your new rallye instrument panel?

Picked it up from Summit Racing. It's a Dakota Digital RTX.
Lonnie
1973 'cuda

nsmall