Main Menu

Brad's second '70 'Cuda and first and last restoration project

Started by usraptor, February 07, 2017, 05:17:54 PM

Previous topic Next topic

usraptor

Haven't posted for a while since I really haven't been really doing any work on the 'Cuda.   Last spring besides installing the new engine and putting the matching #s block in storage and having the electric cutouts installed, I did remove the old original scratched/gouged up (driver quality) door panels, put new insulation on the inside of the door skins and installed new reproduction door panels.  During the summer I just enjoyed driving it and taking it to car shows during the summer.  :stayinlane:   Since winter is here in Utah and I can't really drive it I did some needed maintenance before I tucked it in for the winter.  First I dropped the very leaky oil pan, replaced the oil pan gasket and rear lower crank seal, just in case, and sealed it up with the "Right stuff" and let it sit for two weeks before I filled the crankcase with oil.  If it leaks now I'm just going to put a stick of dynamite in it!  :pullinghair: While I had it on the lift I also replaced the trans output shaft seal as it had been seeping and was last replaced in 1983.  I intended on replaced the shift fork "O" ring seals also but found out to my dismay that they are inside the case and cant be replaced from the outside.   :headbang:  So the old seals remain.  I also removed the steering wheel and sent it to Dave Tays for a much needed restoration.  The next thing that needed attention was the trunk.  I ordered a need rubber trunk mat from Vans Auto along with a reproduction "T" type tire jack and stand from Tony's Parts.  As noted in another post I media blasted my original space save spare inflator bottle bracket and the the jack hook and sprayed them with etch primer and some blue and grey paint I had matched to the original colors at a paint store. I received a reproduction faux inflator bottle for Christmas. I also dug my original space save spare tire and wheel out of storage and cleaned 50 years of dirt, grim and cobwebs off it.  The rim has several nicks in the paint and some surface rust on the back side.   It's obviously been used at least once.  I originally intended to strip the paint and repaint the rim and apply a new decal. But the more I looked at it the old saying "they're only original once" kept coming back so I just decided to leave it as it.  I sprayed the rust areas with Evapo-rust Rust Preventative and gave the paint a light clean up with some polish.  Besides, the rim won't show hardly at all when in place in the trunk.  I also cleaned up 50 years of corrosion off the spare tire rod and wing nut.  I also replaced the Carid wiper blades I got that wouldn't clear my hood when turned on due to the large plastic mounting area with some OER wiper blades.  At least now if I get caught in the rain I can really use my wipers.   If anybody can use the Carid's let me know. There yours free for shipping cost only.

usraptor

Ran out of room.  Here's the pics of the wiper blades if anybody is interested.

usraptor

Very excited.  :banana:  :)  Got my steering wheel back today from Dave Tay at WOODGRAINWHEELS.COM.  I couldn't be more pleased with the results.  The wheel looks brand new.  :clapping:  Before I sent it to him most of the wood grain was worn away on both sides of the wheel and my poor attempt at duplicating the silver strips in the cover looking it had been done by a kindergartener who couldn't keep in the lines.  Anyway, if you're looking for somebody to restore your steering wheel, I highly recommend Dave Tay at Woodgrainwheels. com  Easy to work with, good communication, fair price and reasonable turn around time.  :bravo:  First three pics are before pics and the rest after Dave restored the wheel. 

JS29

usraptor

After a four month wait I finally got my reproduction Mopar red cap maintenance free battery.  :veryexcited: It looks really good next to my Shaker hood. :banana:  Please excuse the winter dust in the engine compartment.  I just can't get excited about detailing the engine compartment with no car shows scheduled in the near future.   :headbang: :pullinghair: :crying:  I also took advantage today of the ECS Memorial Day sale and ordered a bunch of reproduction stickers and tags for the Cuda.