Main Menu

Brad's second '70 'Cuda and first and last restoration project

Started by usraptor, February 07, 2017, 05:17:54 PM

Previous topic Next topic

RUNCHARGER

Yup: The horn mech pushes it up. There must be no spring in your horn mech and it honk continuously.
Sheldon

usraptor

Thanks RunCharger.  :twothumbsup:  I'll take it apart tomorrow and see what's going on.

usraptor

Haven't posted for a while but I have been busy.  Been working on restoring my shaker hood assembly and fabricating a new base plate to lower the assembly since with the new Holley intake I couldn't close the hood.  Since my shaker is an original N96 I didn't want to go cutting up the original center section for the base plate so  I ordered a fiberglass reproduction center section.  Then taking Mopar Dave's advice I bought a Holley drop air cleaner base and grafted it to the fiberglass center section.  I stripped the outer metal base plate, primed and painted it along with my hood pin mounting brackets.  I also took apart all the shaker doors, grills, etc, stripped them to bare metal and repainted them.  Stripping the paint off the metal outer baseplate with a wire wheel on an air grinder was quit the task with all the contours, bumps, curves, etc. but I finally got it done.  Here's some pics of the before and after.

usraptor

In addition to restoring the Shaker assembly, I've also been restoring the windshield stainless trim.  Have I mentioned lately how much I hate sanding, and sanding and sanding all the little nicks and imperfections out of 47 year old trim?   :deadhorse:  And then I get to polish it.  Oh, what fun.  :headbang:  Also, after digging out the windshield that I removed 9 years ago and put in storage I discovered it had a large rock chip right in the middle of the windshield.  I don't know how I missed that 9 years ago.   :clueless:  After verifying that the windshield was not original I ordered a new AMD windshield and it took three tries before I finally got one delivered that wasn't broken in shipping.   :headbang:  Anyway, finally got the new windshield installed last Sat with the help of my son and today I finished up polishing and installing all the SS trim around the windshield.  Boy it's really nice to finally have a windshield again.  May have to take the Cuda for its Maiden voyage around the neighborhood tomorrow.   :D  Also, finished up painting the Shaker Bubble the correct Argent Silver.  I'm just waiting for the short shaker cable from Mopar Dave and then I'll reassemble the doors, etc.  I'm really trying t get it finished for one of the States largest car shows on May 19th.  It's going to be close but I think I'll make it.   It's been a long 9 years and I'm anxious to get it back on the road.  :stayinlane:

Brads70

RUNCHARGER

I love that stage, every part you hang on it just makes it look better and better.
Sheldon

usraptor

Slow and steady.  Installed the restored Shaker assembly, with new gasket, after adding a 1/2" carb spacer to raise the Shaker assembly back up after my fabricated base plate left it sitting too low.  Also restored and installed the "Cuda 440" Shaker emblems along with the "Shaker" decal under the hood.   Restored, painted and mounted the "gill" rockers along with the wheel well moldings.  After countless hours of sanding and polishing installed the belt moldings a second time.  Thanks to Alan for the tip about filing the plastic clips slightly so the molding clipped on easier.  Installed sound deadening to both doors.  Adjusted the gaps on both doors.  Also, installed and hooked up the Road lights.  Installed new hood pins and lanyards along with a new antenna.   Cleaned and installed the original wiper arms with new (but not authentic wiper blades) Also, called my insurance company and insured the Cuda for collision as its maiden voyage gets closer and closer.   :stayinlane:

RUNCHARGER

Beautiful. Is that a factory bubble? Not a Snobar bubble for sure.
Sheldon

usraptor

Runcharger, thanks and yes it's the OEM factory bubble. 

Chryco Psycho

HP_Cuda

Looks good Brad, one side note - the green wire is secured to clips for the road lamps. I believe there are three to hold the wire parallel with the bottom of the valance area.

https://www.hooverautoparts.com/products/Specials/12002S.php
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

YellowThumper

Quote from: HP_Cuda on April 27, 2018, 11:37:27 AM

Looks good Brad, one side note - the green wire is secured to clips for the road lamps. I believe there are three to hold the wire parallel with the bottom of the valance area.

https://www.hooverautoparts.com/products/Specials/12002S.php

It never ceases to amaze me how you guys never miss anything...

In a good way of course.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

HP_Cuda

1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

usraptor

Topcat

Car looks fantastic.   :unbelievable:

Any possible up dates or when you get your first maiden voyage?