Main Menu

Go Mango Boys Project Car

Started by GoMangoBoys, February 20, 2020, 08:33:27 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

We are a bit behind in updating the build thread.

Once the roof skin was off, there were several places where the support channels needed rusty metal cut out and replaced.  This was done in April.

GoMangoBoys

We needed to replace part of the gutter, so I fabricated replacemens for the 2 bad sections.  Fortunately the bad parts were in straight sections so it was easy to replicate them.

GoMangoBoys

The new roof skin came out of the box with 2 good sized dents.  The roof skin is good quality I think, but it was poorly packaged.  I decided that if I returned it, the next one would not be packaged any better and might be damaged too.  It was easier to spend some time fixing the dents and keeping some momentum on the project rather than returning it and waiting for another one.

GoMangoBoys

On the advice from several on this forum, we used panel bond to attach the roof skin to the gutters.  I used plug welds to attach it to the front and rear window frame.  We happened to have a bunch of short pieces of 1/2" rebar the put in the gutter to facilitate clamping.

GoMangoBoys

Replaced the front side of the A pillars on both left and right sides.  These were plug welded ever couple inches and ground flat. We also had to recontruct the area where the cowl meets the A pillars on both sides.

GoMangoBoys

We cut open the end of the cowl on both sides to more effectively clean out the rust before coating with rust converter and internal frame coating paint.

GoMangoBoys

With every nook and cranny of the underside cleaned to the bare metal, it all got a coat of rust converter, etching primer and Eastwood Ceramic Chassis Black paint.

GoMangoBoys

Had to do some body work to one of the fenders and one of the doors.  Didn't take many pictures of this step

GoMangoBoys

Got the engine block back from the machine shop and painted it.  We now need to do the clearance cheecking for our 478CI stroker kit from Hughes Engines.

cudamadd

Fantastic job the best thing is you are doing the job with your son  :australia:

GoMangoBoys

We had to fit and drill the deck lid for the Go Wing.  The Go Wing is from Josh's Muscle Car Parts.  I bought the deck lid last fall at the fall Carlisle swap  I was already planning to go there and bought the Challenger 1 week before the show.  I was warned by some on this forum that I would not find much Mopar there.  That was correct.  There was one guy however that did have some Mopar.  I bought almost all of what he had including the deck lid.  I also got a 4 Speed OD transmission from him.  The deck lid was a new AMD.  It was dented and did not have Go Wing holes.  I corrected both of those shortcomings.

GoMangoBoys

Had to do some final touch ups to the body work on the LH rear quarter panel.  Guide coat is a useful thing.

GoMangoBoys

Sanded all the paint off the hood down to bare metal.  Coated it all with Eastwood rust converter.  Painted all the insides of all the chanells with Eastwood internal frame coating.  Painted the hood with etching primer

GoMangoBoys

Cleaned up the car and sprayed with 2 coats of heavy sanding primer.  I sprayed the rear half, the boy sprayed the front half.

GoMangoBoys

Spent some time hand sanding the primer in all the hidden areas and then fired up the gun to shoot some FC7 Plum Crazy.  For these hidden areas, I used a single stage Nason Urethane.  For the main body of the car, I will use the Nason Basecoat Clearcoat.

I know at this point some are saying What?  GoMangoBoys are spraying Plum Crazy???  The story is that my son really wanted a Plum Crazy car.  We bought a Go Mango car.  On the drive home, we decided to keep the Go Mango color on the car.  A few months ago, I heard "Dad, I think I would really like to go with Plum Crazy instead of Go Mango."  1.  I have had trouble gettting him to make decisions, so if he has made a decision on something, anything, I want to support it.  2. We are building the car for him.  3.  I like the FC7 better also. 4.  We have already deviated from the fender tag quite a bit, so the wrong paint code wont hurt.

Lastly we have considered legally changing our name, but we will still call ourselves GoMangoBoys. :)