Main Menu

My 73 Cuda BS23 4spd. car journey back.

Started by LinceCuda, June 26, 2017, 06:09:03 PM

Previous topic Next topic

RUNCHARGER

Agreed: Forged all the way in any type of a Hot Rod and new rods just make sense these days.
Sheldon

LinceCuda

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on December 12, 2017, 09:06:09 PM
I only buy forged pistons in case you want more power later , the new rods are a good call too , seems the machine shop looked after you well  :bigthumb:
My exact thinking as well a little extra power down the road maybe and  it's best to be prepared. I like nitrous but don't think I will with this car, but if I want a 125hp shot I can. :)

LinceCuda

Runcharger  for what it costs to recondition a set of rods, for a couple of more bucks I got brand new forged rods. The rods I had in my 340 were 318 forged according to the part # on them. I guess they were in there because they are lighter than 340 rods and for $242.00 it was a easy decision to go with the Eagle 340 rods :)

RUNCHARGER

Yes: I don't know what good rod bolts cost these days but after you buy them and resize the rods and mag them you're over the cost of new rods. These rods are now 50 years old too so you have no idea what they've been through over the decades.
Sheldon

LinceCuda

So I figured while I wait for my rotating system to be balanced and come back from the machine shop I'd see if there was any life left in these rusty old adjustable rockers. I spent 6 hours working on them wire Wheeling, cleaning, lubing, and assembling them. They now look, move and adjust like new money. They were on the heads that came off my 340 but I don't think this set up ever came on a 340 that I know of. I think the old 273 Commando engine had them maybe one of y'all know, and can't say if they were bought over the counter back in the 70's. So here are some pics.

Chryco Psycho

Great Job  :ohyeah:
those were never on a 340 , the only mech rockers on any 340 were the T/A offset
273 engines did have them & they are a great rocker & indestructable

usraptor

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

71GranCoupe

Cool looking project for sure LinceCuda. You got in at a good price which makes it easier to spend the savings on the rebuild. Keep up the good work.  :banana:

LinceCuda

Quote from: 71GranCoupe on December 23, 2017, 05:43:18 PM
Cool looking project for sure LinceCuda. You got in at a good price which makes it easier to spend the savings on the rebuild. Keep up the good work.  :banana:
Thank you, and yes the savings is good but as you know it doesn't take long to spend that savings lol. but hey it's fun doing it. :banana:

LinceCuda

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on December 23, 2017, 03:32:59 PM
Great Job  :ohyeah:
those were never on a 340 , the only mech rockers on any 340 were the T/A
273 engines did have them & they are a great rocker & indestructable
Quote from: usraptor on December 23, 2017, 04:28:08 PM
WOW!  They look brand new.  Good work! :twothumbsup:
Quote from: anlauto on December 23, 2017, 04:48:00 PM
Yup...old 273 rockers :bradsthumb:
Thanks Psycho, usraptor, and Al

moparcar

Nice work! This will be a great build. What compression ratio did you decide on with your new forged pistons?
Wes

fc7cuda

Quote from: usraptor on December 23, 2017, 04:28:08 PM
WOW!  They look brand new.  Good work! :twothumbsup:

:iagree: maybe there's a future income opportunity.  :banana:

Shane Kelley

Those 273  rockers are my favorite and I run them on all my 340's.   :banana:Bullet proof! I found my last set on Ebay. The guy had several NOS sets and was selling them for $90.00 a set. No shafts just the rockers and spacers.

Anybody upgrading to these from the stamped ones should be aware they use a cup tipped push rod for the rocker end with a length of 7.389

Chryco Psycho

$90 / set for NOS is awesome , I assume you bought more than 1 set  :bigthumb: