Main Menu

Project Pistol Whipped- 70 Challenger R/T 440-6, 4 speed, B7 blue

Started by packnsix, June 26, 2017, 09:00:39 PM

Previous topic Next topic

packnsix

I figured it was about time I started one of these as this car has been an on and off project since 1999.

The Car...
1970 Challenger R/T
440-6
Four Speed
B7 Blue w/ white interior and side stripe
Track pack
Radio Delete

A little history...
I found this car through an advertisement on Hemming's online. This was in the early days of Hemming's online listings and it didn't appear there was much traffic on the site yet. The car was listed for $9,900 w/ non-matching 440. I remember at the time I thought the price was a little high so I watched the car for a couple of months. It is crazy looking back as I would love to find a six pack car for under $10,000 today. Anyway, I finally contacted the gentleman and he did indeed still have the car. We talked about how the car was sitting for 13 years and used to have a Hemi. Generally just discussed the car. This was in the days where digital photography was just starting so when I requested pictures he had to send prints through snail mail. The pics arrived about a week later and when I saw them I knew I had to have it. My requirements when I was looking for a six pack car were it had to be an original v-code, four speed, and blue exterior. I was really looking for a B5 car but when I saw this car was B7 I fell in love. As soon as I had the pictures I jumped on the phone and made an offer. The negotiation took a few days but we finally settled on $6,700 and he kept the non-original 440.

The next day my Dad and I jumped in his 89 Suburban with a borrowed trailer to make the 13 hour drive from Central Illinois to Waxahachie, TX (right outside of Dallas). We drove straight through arriving early evening. The car was mostly as described with one major exception that I wouldn't find out until later. More on that a little farther down in this story. We loaded the car and the spare parts and got out of there before the seller changed his mind.

We got the car home and stated taking inventory of what exactly I just bought. The car was sold as a six pack, four speed car with original transmission. Well, that all was true with the exception of the original transmission. As it turns out the transmission was an 18-spline four speed just not the one that originally belonged to the car. Near as I can tell it is out of a 70 b-body built in the St Louis plant. The car was obviously missing the original motor since it was bought without motor. I did get a lead on where it might be (previous owner) but I was tapped out on cash for the time being. I was just content in knowing I had exactly what I wanted even without matching numbers.

That first year the car was taken apart, bagged, tagged, and labeled. Over the next few years a rotisserie was built, the car was blasted and the bad metal was removed. Then the car sat for several years until I finally got fed up looking at a blank shell and sent the body off for metal and paint. The whole goal of this car is to make a good driver with me doing all the work. Well, like a lot of things life got in the way marriage, first house, first kid, second house, second kid, etc. I knew I would not have time in the near future to finish the body work and paint so it was farmed out.

Let me back up to that lead on the location of the original motor. Well after about a year or so of sitting on the lead I found the number for the name that was given to me. I called and the gentleman did confirm he had it but was running it in his drag car. He had no desire to sell at any price. I kept in touch over the next few years when finally he had removed the motor to freshen it up but by now the block wasn't in any shape to put back in his car. Basically the block was near junk but it was still the original with VIN out of my car so he was willing to sell. Long story short he knew why I wanted it so he wasn't going to let it go cheap. After a couple rounds of negotiation we settled on $1,000. Crazy for a worn out block, I know, but those little numbers on the side of the block matched those on my dash.

This brings us back to the transmission. Through the seller of block I found out the name of the owner before him. The story goes the prior owner had my Challenger and a 70 Hemi B-body of some sort at the same time. For some reason he had both transmissions out of both cars at the same time and they may have gotten swapped. If anyone knows of a Hemi B-body that was previously owned by a Randy Balcom (spelling?) of the Dallas area it might have my car's original transmission and I might have your transmission.

Back to the car...body work and paint was finally finished in 2012 and I have slowly been putting it back together. Enter another house purchase and another move. This house should be the one that we stay in for several years and I finally have a nice shed to work in (42ftx66ft with 12ft side walls). I am currently finishing off the inside of the shed with insulation and metal. Once this is completed I will be hitting the car heavy again.

In the meantime here are the progress pics of the car from 1999-2017...

packnsix

1 Wild R/T

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

Cuda Cody

Very cool story @packnsix   and beautiful Challenger.   :wowzers:  B7 is a fantastic color and with the white interior  :banana:  Thanks for sharing some photos.  Looking forward to seeing more.

And congratulations on finding the numbers matching engine.  Even if it was worn out, you can pretty much save anything these days and there is only one original engine.   :ohyeah:

J-Code Jeni

:welcome: & great story & pictures! Can't get enough of B7!  :ohyeah:

That's quite a 'shed' you're finishing- sounds like it will be the perfect place to finish this beauty off!

MoparDave

very cool story and Very Nice Challenger. The shed is nice also. Would love to have something of that size.
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

packnsix

Thanks for the comments guys...I have several other cars come and go but this Challenger has been the one constant.

On lunch break so I thought I might add a little more to the story and maybe one of you can help fill in some of the gaps.

I nearest I can tell I am the fifth or sixth owner with all the previous owners being located somewhere around Dallas, TX.

From new until mid 70's-  I only have limited information on the car. Supposedly it was owned by a "kid" that had a minor accident resulting in damage to the steel hood and front valance. This kid added the T/A hood and NOS front valance. I would assume this would still been at a time when this stuff was available over the counter at the dealership. I think it is safe to assume this happened fairly early in the cars life.

Mid to late 70's- a gentleman by the name of Randy Balcom bought the car from the "kid: as it was just now sitting behind a filling station. During this time period is when the transmission was swapped. I also believe the car acquired a 426 Hemi at this time.

Late 70's to early 80's- The car was sold with both the Hemi and original 440 to the gentleman I bought the original block from. His name was David Brodnax and he had several race cars including an original 70 Hemi 'cuda. David brought the car just for the Hemi which was pulled and the car was sold again.

Early 80's- 1999- A gentleman by the name of Mike bought the car from David. I don't recall Mike's last name but I have it at home and will add it later. Mike bought the car sans engine and installed a 440 he already had. Then the car just sat until I saw it on Hemming's website.

1999 until now- I purchased the car from Mike and began the long road to restoration.  :D

The nearest I can figure the car was only on the road 5-7 years of its 47 year life. If anyone knows of the car's early history I would be all ears.

6bblgt

Great Car!!  :wowzers: here's a little EB7 & white

is there a "MADE IN CANADA" stamp on the bottom of the hood?

what emblems are on it: flat/small pin steel hood or tapered/large pin SHAKER pieces?

packnsix

The hood did have the made in Canada stamp and it is now residing on an original T/A.

The emblems were the standard steel hood versions. I have them stashed away when/if I ever get a Hemi car. :)

Cuda Cody

Have you had a machine shop look at the block to see if it can be rebuilt?

packnsix

Quote from: Cuda Cody on June 27, 2017, 12:20:42 PM

Not yet, it is the last major piece I need to spend money on. I'm sure it can be saved. The decision I have is to spend the money to build the original block or freshen the complete 67 440HP that I have.

wldgtx

Quote from: packnsix on June 27, 2017, 12:33:15 PM
Quote from: Cuda Cody on June 27, 2017, 12:20:42 PM

Not yet, it is the last major piece I need to spend money on. I'm sure it can be saved. The decision I have is to spend the money to build the original block or freshen the complete 67 440HP that I have.

"there is only one original engine"
- Cuda Cody
1968 Hemi GTX, 4 spd, RR1
1970 Challenger RT/SE, FC7 - FC7RTSE
1987 Buick Grand National