Main Menu

Purple1's resurrection

Started by purple1, August 22, 2017, 06:39:16 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda Cody

RUNCHARGER

That looks good. Not much warpage on the quarter I hope.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

purple1

Over the weekend I got the drivers side quarter cut off. This side has had some damage and was full of body filler, as well as a very poor patch job. They also covered right over some rust holes with filler. I started patching under the quarter and started fitting the trunk drop down. Because of the hidden damage, I cut more of this quarter off. Hopefully I can get this one installed this week.

Dave

Worlds first e-body trailer. Severna Park, Maryland

anlauto

If the rust/bondo/damage was that much, why not just install full quarters at the factory seams ? You're going to end up with twice as much body work and filler again once you're done ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

ViperMan

Damn - I really wish I could be hanging out with ya Dave, watching this process take place.  It'd be some very useful knowledge and experience!!

purple1

Quote from: anlauto on October 02, 2017, 05:55:37 AM
If the rust/bondo/damage was that much, why not just install full quarters at the factory seams ? You're going to end up with twice as much body work and filler again once you're done ?

I would have liked to have full quarters. But I already bought these quarter skins and need to use them. I'm trying to do this on a very tight budget. I know what you mean about the body work, the passenger side has been a real pain. But I'm not too worried about a little bondo. I just don't want the half inch thick shitty patch job I found under the paint here. The damage/bono was in front of the wheel and the rust was behind the wheel, all that is getting completely replaced with this.

Dave

purple1

Quote from: ViperMan on October 02, 2017, 06:13:05 AM
Damn - I really wish I could be hanging out with ya Dave, watching this process take place.  It'd be some very useful knowledge and experience!!

Jeff, I would welcome you here. I couldn't pay, I can offer to feed you, but that's about all I can afford.  :wave:

Dave

Cuda Cody

Might be cheaper to pay him.   :haha:   :pokeeye:

Quote from: purple1 on October 02, 2017, 06:31:54 AM
I couldn't pay, I can offer to feed you, but that's about all I can afford.  :wave:

ViperMan

Quote from: Cuda Cody on October 02, 2017, 07:08:08 AM
Might be cheaper to pay him.   :haha:   :pokeeye:

OH NO YOU DIDN'T!!!!!   :verymad:

:haha: :rofl:  :bravo:

340challconvert

Admiring the metal and body work you are doing on Purple
Really great job!

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

dougdel

Doing a good job there Dave,  looks like you won't be taking 7 or 8 years like I did as time and mostly money allowed me to

purple1

Quote from: dougdel on October 03, 2017, 09:07:14 AM
Doing a good job there Dave,  looks like you won't be taking 7 or 8 years like I did as time and mostly money allowed me to

Thanks Doug. My goal is to make it to Carlisle next year with the car and the trailer with both of them getting painted at the same time. But I have been collecting parts getting ready for this for a long time.

Dave

purple1

More progress. I'm almost ready to fit this quarter.

Dave

anlauto

Are you protecting the glass from weld splatter ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration