Main Menu

SAD Day at A.G.A.R.

Started by anlauto, June 04, 2017, 06:25:31 AM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

In business.... I describe myself as honest, fair, understanding, compassionate, reasonable, generous and at times a push over.... :-[

I feel I do a fair amount of work for a fair price. I try to turn out the best work I can, and in a reasonable amount of time.

Other than a small deposit to secure a spot in line, I never ask for any money up front.

All I ask is to be paid at the end of each month in a reasonable amount of time.

After 15 years of doing work for other people and 7 years of making it my full time passion and income....IT'S FINALLY HAPPENED......friends have always said it would happen...

NON-PAYMENT :pullinghair:

I had to give one of the coolest project cars I've ever worked on the boot.....because of non-payment :crying:

The 1971 Hemicuda clone I was building for Christopher T. has been shipped back to California because of the lack of payment. For a five month period, the owner owed me $23500.00 which was basically bankrupting my company  :('

Because the car was here on a bond which had expired, I was able to get the broker involved and with fear of heavy Government fines, the owner paid his bill and removed the car from Canada. It finally left on Friday. 

This is a very sad day in my opinion, because I really wanted to finish the car. 98% of the parts were purchased, the mock up stage was finished....all it needed was body and paint and re-assembly...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Solarguy

You're running a business, you have to do what you have to do to stay in business.  23,500 is a lot of $$$ to be carrying.  Don't take it personal.  I don't understand the bond arrangement but it looks as if it secured payment to you. 

kdcarman

Alan,

I am happy to hear you go out from this situation and paid in full.  Apparently the bond provision protected the small business owner in Canada.

Cuda Cody

Sorry to hear about the situation buddy.   :console:  Besides the non payment, there's the headache and stress that goes along with having to deal with it.  Being a small business is never easy and it takes a special person to make it work.  Glad to hear that you are moving forward and not letting this stop what you do so well.  You are truly one of the best values in the restoration business.  Plus you do high end work and know more about E-Bodies then almost anyone so there's always going to be more people that need your services.

Shoooter

That's too bad Allan. It looks like a great car , your business comes first and when one door closes another opens, think of how happy the next guy is that now his car can be done sooner!!!

Spikedog08

I would be upset about that as well . . . Sorry to hear Alan.   :thumbdown:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Slotts

Wow, that does hurt! It makes you re-think how you are doing business, how not to get caught again, etc.  :thinking:

Knock the dirt off your shoes, stay focused and forget about it. Hopefully, that was a one time occurrence.

Jim
Be careful. Don't get caught drinking the Kool-Aid or believing the hype.

RUNCHARGER

Sorry Alan: At least you can recover from it. I have a friend in the same boat with an ongoing Hemi Superbird clone project. He too treats people fairly and honestly and I don't like seeing him suffer either.
Sheldon

HP_Cuda

Unfortunately it's a part of business. Keep a positive attitude and you never know he may come back and then you have the choice to pick up the project or just tell him no thank you.

Anyway you look at it - it's his loss.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

bpsmopar

Quote from: Shoooter on June 04, 2017, 08:26:22 AM
That's too bad Allan. It looks like a great car , your business comes first and when one door closes another opens, think of how happy the next guy is that now his car can be done sooner!!!

On a positive note🎼, the FJ5 sunroof Challenger is at Dave's in MI. & he's pleased with the car!
The body will be off to Paint Machine with everything else coming to a home garage near you....
or seacan....🚚

anlauto

Can't wait :banana: .....Still don't understand why Dave just doesn't do the whole car ? How busy can he be ? :tool:  :rofl:

ec_co

this is the rare time I want a dislike button (because I dislike what happened. can't like this post  :thumbdown:

sorry to hear it happened. but that is a pretty decent 'win' ratio if it's the 1st time, especially with the weird economies over the last 10 years
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

jimynick

I'd've thought a mechanics lien would've covered you as the vehicle is certainly worth what he owed you and the storage clock begins to tick as well as the interest clock as well.  :thumbdown:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

bpsmopar

Quote from: anlauto on June 05, 2017, 07:37:31 PM
Can't wait :banana: .....Still don't understand why Dave just doesn't do the whole car ? How busy can he be ? :tool:  :rofl:

Dave has 3 cars & a few motors he wants to finish this year. Two for you....three now!
Think of it as he's taking care of your sublets :handshake: