Main Menu

SE tail panel re-anodizing and repainting

Started by KZ, April 16, 2018, 11:44:22 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Brads70

Quote from: DAYLEY/CHALLENGER on April 17, 2018, 09:43:09 AM
OK Brad........your trunk lock is not under the panel it is holding the center of the panel......I have to rethink mine.........its under..

Under is "correct" but I used the lock to also hold it down as I didn't want to drill all those holes . That and the clips to go in the holes are non-existent from what I was able to tell?

750-h2

There is suppose to be 6 clips at the bottom. If you look inside your trunk you should see the holes.  Clips are impossible to find. I recently installed my NOS SE panel and had to JB Weld 6 studs to the lower panel to secure it. Not ideal, lots of work to line them up, but it worked good for me.   

DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

Quote from: 750-h2 on April 17, 2018, 12:27:55 PM
There is suppose to be 6 clips at the bottom. If you look inside your trunk you should see the holes.  Clips are impossible to find. I recently installed my NOS SE panel and had to JB Weld 6 studs to the lower panel to secure it. Not ideal, lots of work to line them up, but it worked good for me.

OK......time for some pics......as I am totally confused now........Mine is steady as a rock.....Tomorrow I will clean out the trunk a little and make some pics of how mine is held on...Probably not correct but.........it works.

1 Wild R/T

The three clips at each end& five screws are correct... But there should also be six clips across the bottom... Look inside your trunk above the tail lights, there should be six holes....

Brads70

Quote from: DAYLEY/CHALLENGER on April 17, 2018, 03:13:04 PM
Quote from: 750-h2 on April 17, 2018, 12:27:55 PM

OK......time for some pics......as I am totally confused now........Mine is steady as a rock.....Tomorrow I will clean out the trunk a little and make some pics of how mine is held on...Probably not correct but.........it works.

This post has some good pictures of the holes in the tailpanel.
https://forum.e-bodies.org/body-shop/5/1970-challenger-rt-tail-panel/2208/msg33704#msg33704

DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

1 Wild R/T

RUNCHARGER

I couldn't find the clips anywhere either, so really be nice to them if they are there.
Sheldon

70/6chall

KZ.......... looked through the 1970 Dodge Service Manual for Challenger/Dart 1970 Vol.2 and found this under body & frame.     Thanks,   Al

DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

Learn something new every day..........I do have the 6 holes.........Just no clips.......I have to see if I have any water able to come in now.......although she is garaged all the time....

headejm

My 1970 SE trim panel has a total of 12 studded clips holding it on. There are 6 smaller clips on the ends that are pinched in place. The other 6 larger clips are held in place with dum-dum. The larger clips really only need to be held in place until tightened. Here are some pics.

I need a few of each if anyone has any or knows of a suitable replacement.

DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

So,I am going to ask the question or ar least say that all,SE challengers has a different body tail  panel because of the 6 holes for the dress up panel..?

So,if you run across a car that is in question as to being an SE, then dig around in the trunk a bit to,see for sure! :takealook:

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: DAYLEY/CHALLENGER on April 18, 2018, 04:24:38 PM
So,I am going to ask the question or ar least say that all,SE challengers has a different body tail  panel because of the 6 holes for the dress up panel..?

So,if you run across a car that is in question as to being an SE, then dig around in the trunk a bit to,see for sure! :takealook:

Accept al WSS cars had the trim, & all cars coded A63 had the trim so it doesn't prove anything...

KZ

To me, I think the color of the paint on the SE trim panel looks very similar to the '71 center cap color, dark argent

Brads70

Quote from: KZ on April 19, 2018, 10:37:18 AM
To me, I think the color of the paint on the SE trim panel looks very similar to the '71 center cap color, dark argent

That's what I used. I got the paint from Dave @ Roseville.