Main Menu

Second lease on life 73 Challenger.

Started by Rdchallenger, December 16, 2017, 02:19:23 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Rdchallenger

Okay big update! All panels are now in high build primer and an starting my mock reassembly so that I can block sand over the winter. As you can see I did have to redo one of my doors as I had an adhesion failure. Nothing that a day or two of sanding and cussing at it didn't fix... Body lines are looking good so far, pay no attention to the front fender as I just laid it on there for giggles and a picture. Crazy to think how far this non-desirable '73 318 Challenger has came.

jimynick

Way to go! That's better than Mother Mopar did it the first time.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

Rdchallenger

It's official... I hate block sanding :Thud:

jimynick

LOL, be thankful! At least you've got some hair to get dusty.  :))
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Rdchallenger

Quote from: jimynick on November 25, 2020, 08:40:06 PM
LOL, be thankful! At least you've got some hair to get dusty.  :))

Hahaha! I always tell people that my hair is like a woman who got implants... But it's younger than I am (like a woman's implants) since I've lost my hair once already in my life.

Rdchallenger

With the temps in Maryland approaching the 60's today I was able to put another coat of 2k primer on the car. With the weather getting ready to get cold I believe that's about all I'll be able to do with the body for a bit as I don't have a heated garage. Going to give the primer a few weeks to shrink then will start the second round of block sanding.

Rdchallenger

Well round 2 of block sanding is complete and the weather seems like it's going to cooperate this week here in WV/MD so I'll be able to shoot another coat of 2k primer then move onto 400 grit sanding. As you can see in the pictures even the Challenger is making faces with all this sanding.  :Thud: :haha:

Rdchallenger

Weather was pretty cooperative these past few days so was able to take the opportunity and paint the inside of the fenders as well as door jams! Got the fenders remounted and will start my final block sanding of the body this week.

Rdchallenger

So it's been a while since I had a trying day with the car, unfortunately that's what this evening turned into. The old saying "measure twice, cut once" bit me today except it was drilling... I'm mocking up and drilling holes that need to be, before this last round of blocking.

Well I misaligned the template I made for the Rallye fender louvers and didn't notice until after the holes were drilled  :crying: :pullinghair: :Thud:

So I grinded down around the holes, welded them up, epoxied, let that dry for a bit, then hit it with skim coat, and sanded it.

Going to let it set up overnight then block it tomorrow before hitting with high build and blocking again then another round of high build for good measure.

dodj

Quote from: Rdchallenger on March 21, 2021, 05:02:48 PM
Weather was pretty cooperative these past few days so was able to take the opportunity and paint the inside of the fenders as well as door jams! Got the fenders remounted and will start my final block sanding of the body this week.
What's going on with your or your neighbours roof?

Gotta suk redoing the louver holes....
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Rdchallenger

Quote from: dodj on March 22, 2021, 06:27:34 PM
Quote from: Rdchallenger on March 21, 2021, 05:02:48 PM
What's going on with your or your neighbours roof?

Gotta suk redoing the louver holes....

Lmfao! The neighbors... He attempted to do the roof himself then realized he was much to old to be on the steel of an incline. So waiting I think for professionals to come in 😂

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

Rdchallenger

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on March 22, 2021, 06:48:09 PM
Aack.

As well as some other words, some head shaking, and a couple of beers.... Silver lining is though my welds have really improved from when I first started this project  :haha:

Rdchallenger

Well not a bad recovery, if I do say so (besides the one black lab hair in the primer) she thought she needed to help at that moment 😂.