Main Menu

The ongoing metamorphosis from Grey Eminence to Purple People Eater

Started by Ornamental, June 12, 2017, 04:34:41 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Ornamental

This is The Grey Eminence as it appeared in the online ad.
It was my starting point, I've already made some changes to what you see in this first post, where every photo is from the advert.

Purists won't find much to their liking with this car, but at least the orange running lights under the front bumper were stock.
Were... Illumin8s there now.

One long solid red bar for tail lights across the whole rear and, not a bad idea!
But I've replaced the reverse light with a clear lense now.
As for the exhaust tips, still there.
They do the job as well as the stock ones, and while I'm not that fussed about them, they'll be replaced one day.
Besides, they're directly attached to the muffler, replacing that with a stock appearing set up costs money that's better spent at replacing things that doesn't really work.
Carbon fiber look film has been removed.

Speaking of things that doesn't really work, the B&M shifter is a prime example, unless it's designed to piss me off, in which case it works absolutely flawlessly.
I've been gathering the necessary parts for a original type shifter, really looking forward to toss this thing out of the car.
Still haven't worked out if it's worth selling, and if it is, would I enjoy crushing it with a sledge hammer even more than I would enjoy getting money for it?
The steering wheel and the rubbery crush can / extension kit have been replaced. 
Autometer instruments have been replaced by restored original gauges.
There used to be a Painless wiring kit, now replaced with repro original wiring.
Dashpad cover still there, dashboard restoration is on the to do list.

The seats looked cool, but didn't really agree with my backside.
I sold them to a sucker, Widing'Cuda who has been told about this forum and should register here soon if he haven't already done so under a different name.
(Sold them for a low price so he could be able to sell them on without loosing money, hopefully. Can't remember if he's gotten rid of the damned things or not.)

440 cubic inches of happiness!
I really like the engine colour, probably keeping that.
The MSD box has been moved to the drivers side inner fender where Mother Mopar originally put the battery.
The pressure regulator has been removed, reproduction fuel line installed to fit with a mechanical pump.
Also, a heaterbox is poking its fittings through the firewall now.
As for the valve covers and breathers, they will be replaced with new valve covers and a oil breather catch tank.
A beautifully restored windshield wiper motor has been installed.

The previous owner had a vision, one where the engine bay was clean, so the battery got moved to the back, which I appreciate, and pretty much every nice little hole, be it screw hole or other type of hole have been filled and painted over. Luckily, the holes for the hinges are there, because I will replace the loose Six Pack hood with a TA hood that is mounted to hinges and doesn't need to be put somewhere if I want to work in the engine bay, or just look at the engine and grin like a naughty child. I will also try to open up the holes for the windshield washer fluid tank and the horns.

What it used to look like before it were painted grey.
But it came from the factory wearing Plum Crazy, which can still be seen in the trunk and inside where the rear harness are routed by the drivers seat.
And the end goal is for it to be Plum Crazy again, but that involves a sail panel and roof skin replacement before, possibly also have to remove several layers of paint first too.
Not going to happen in the near future.

Cuda Cody

Thanks for sharing some photos and referring us to your buddy.   :bigthumb:  It's hard to beat a Plum Crazy Challenger.   :yes:   

Looks like a beast of a 440!   :bradsthumb:

Burdar

Love the gray color BUT if it was Plumb Crazy from the factory, it should be returned.  :alan2cents:  Keep posting pictures!

Cuda Cody

dave73

That car looks familiar, was it overseas and previously owned by a cuda-challenger member?

Engine looks real similar to my color scheme. Is the block black and valve covers red.

Good luck!

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Brads70

Ornamental

Quote from: Burdar on June 12, 2017, 07:54:36 AM
Love the gray color BUT if it was Plumb Crazy from the factory, it should be returned.  :alan2cents:  Keep posting pictures!
It really is a good gray colour, but you're right, it should be returned to the factory Plum Crazy.
I'm currently at work at sea, and I didn't have the photos I thought I had on my mobile phone, so I'll post some photos of the Plum Crazy samples still hidden inside the car when I get home.

Quote from: dave73chally on June 12, 2017, 10:37:13 AM
That car looks familiar, was it overseas and previously owned by a cuda-challenger member?

Engine looks real similar to my color scheme. Is the block black and valve covers red.

Good luck!
It's overseas to you, local to me, who are the Norwegian Cuda-Challenger member you're probably thinking of...  ;)
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=94380.msg1102411#msg1102411

The engine is a kind of dark brownish-grey. Valve covers are red.

Thank you!

RUNCHARGER

I like that hood. I try to run over every B&M shifter I can find with the Peterbilt.
Sheldon

Cudakiller70

Chryco Psycho