Main Menu

1970 Cuda resurrection

Started by HP_Cuda, June 27, 2017, 12:26:06 PM

Previous topic Next topic

HP_Cuda

Well I thought I'd put my restoration thread here for folks who need answers restoring a 1970 Cuda. I found that I got frustrated by sites like forebodiesonly, cc.com, etc because folks would talk about how to do something but if you needed a visual reference you were hosed. So I took pics of areas where there were none so hopefully this would help some folks out.

You can find the thread here: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=83942.0

Additionally I will be adding onto this thread on EBO and continuing on going forward. This will also allow me at some future date to take all the pics and text and move it over here. So this also serves as a placeholder.

Enjoy!
Bryan
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

HP_Cuda

New update: The Cuda is in final paint touch up and I hope to get it back and take it to the Saratoga show when I get back from my trip to Europe!!

I'm also ditching the Dales Cuda shop 440 stripe for the Performance car graphics stripe so I won't have a gap at the door! It came out awesome on my last FY1 Cuda.

LinceCuda

Quote from: HP_Cuda on June 27, 2017, 12:26:06 PM

Well I thought I'd put my restoration thread here for folks who need answers restoring a 1970 Cuda. I found that I got frustrated by sites like forebodiesonly, cc.com, etc because folks would talk about how to do something but if you needed a visual reference you were hosed. So I took pics of areas where there were none so hopefully this would help some folks out.

You can find the thread here: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=83942.0

Additionally I will be adding onto this thread on EBO and continuing on going forward. This will also allow me at some future date to take all the pics and text and move it over here. So this also serves as a placeholder.

Enjoy!
Bryan

The 2 pics you posted here look good and the story at CC is good but none of your pics from CC showed up on my computer. Enjoy your trip.

scf100

1970 Challenger R/T convertible Triple Black

HP_Cuda

Thanks! Looking forward to this trip.

It looks like cc.com requires you to login to see the pics.

Brads70

Beautiful car top and bottom !  :bradsthumb:

Cuda Cody

Great job man!!!   :clapping:  I agree the stripe will look better without the gap.  Thanks for sharing and I look forward to you winning your first car show with her.    :1place:

nsmall

Read your thread backwards.

Unfortunately,couldn't load pages 1-8.

So is the butyl tape the only way to go for the windshield and rear glass installation?

Is DMT where you bought the carbon fiber for the dash gauge panel?  Did you have to custom cut it?  Any advice? Tools?  Template?  I like the wood grain, but I am interested in something different.  Maybe post a link to where you bought it if you can.

Thanks.  I enjoyed seeing your project.  Post some pics here if you want.  Its the easy site for pics.

Neil

nsmall

Nevermind, found the carbon fiber on ebay for cheap.  Is it cheap looking?  I am assuming the pattern for the console and dash match?  If you dont me asking, do you live in CA?  If so...where?

Thanks

HP_Cuda

Hey nsmall

I live in Cupertino, CA which is in the SF Bay Area. Currently I have to listen to the loud banging in my back yard because they are apparently building a large spaceship for more entitled millennials.

Anyway, from my experience I liked the butyl tape cause it gave consistency around the entire window and it was standard back in the day. You can certainly go with someone who likes to lay down a bead of caulk but I found out with my first window the guy wasn't consistent and layed a thin bead on one side and thicker on the other. This resulted in the drivers side lower portion of the window too low and everything else higher. Tried to save the window but it cracked while pulling it out. So there you have it.

The DMT CF overlays look nice to me and they actually line up between surfaces like the switch panel to the gauge panel. I think its a matter of taste but I like it. It even matches my CF pistol grip shifter!

Weird about pages 1-8 as I just clicked on the link and logged in and I saw all my photos. The problem is over time they will start dropping off and that's a real bummer. Good thing I have them all now.

B

HP_Cuda

Hey since my data tags were long gone when I bought it who wants to take a guess at the Cuda's original color?

:D

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

HP_Cuda

You are probably right Alan but doesn't it look like burgundy???

Cuda Cody

nsmall

Thanks for the info.  Sorry about the spaceship construction.

As for the original wood grain... did you have to remove it?  Just curious if this will cover up the wood grain completely?

Thanks