Main Menu

1970 FE5 'Cuda Build

Started by 1970Cuda, January 10, 2017, 04:42:03 PM

Previous topic Next topic

1970Cuda

Background:

I started looking for a new project back in late 2015. I had completed - mostly anyway - my current restoration project; a 1969 Super Bee.

A number of my Mopar friends were restoring various E-bodies, mostly 1970 & 1971 vehicles, and I wanted to get in on the action. Plus, I'd never restored one and thought it would be a challenge (and a good idea to pick one up before I keeled over). Not really a "bucket list" item, but in a manner of speaking, somewhat.

I wanted to purchase the right car and I definitely wanted a BS23 (not that I have anything against other E-bodies).

Project:

I was a member of another Mopar-based website, and while looking through the "Projects for Sale" vehicles, I came across a 1970 'Cuda 383 car (pictured). It looked rough, but it had the doors, fenders and what looked to be all the sheet metal. The vehicle was located in MN, so I was concerned about rust.

After some difficult negotiations I was able to purchase it, almost sight unseen. The fellow emphatically stated that it was a real 1970 'Cuda and that it had the correct fender tag in the vehicle.

The Good:

1. Real 1970 'Cuda (VIN matches the Fender Tag)
2. Fender Tag was present
3. Frame rails were solid (surface rust only)
4. Original numbers-matching engine was present
5. Most of the original sheet metal (sans the quarter panels)

The Not-So-Good:

1. No title (I didn't know it at the time ...)
2. Engine is seized
3. Missing transmission
4. Quarters were replaced
5. Most of the interior was missing
6. Missing bolts and a whole lot of other items, mostly inconvenient items

Through a whole lot of money and hassles, I was able to obtain a good, clean CA title. (I know now a whole lot cheaper and of course legal way of getting a title, but at least I have one.)

What you see here is the starting point. I'm posting a few pics for reference.

I want to perform a rotisserie restoration during the next three to five years. I'm creating a budget (that's laughable, right?), with timelines and deliverables.

Right now I'm looking for a few pieces (hood) before the final disassembly and shipment off to the media blaster and then to the body restoration shop/painter.

More to follow...

headejm

Looks like you've got an excellent starting point! Keep us posted on progress. Lots of good help on this site.  :toast:

Cuda Cody

Looks like a great project and you have already solved the hardest part.  The clean title!  Having a numbers matching engine is super cool!

I know where there was a 1970 Cuda Ralley hood.  Really clean.  1970 had the smaller bolts where the hinges mount up plus no crumple zones.  I think they wanted $400 for it.  I could try to find their number if you want?  They are up here in Portland.  I might be able to bring it down to Fall Fling or something like that?  Can't promise, but it seems like I get to LA at least once a year or two.   :idea:

1970Cuda

Hi Cody - Yes, if you could obtain the number for me that'd be great. (I thought I had a lead on a 1970 hood at Fall Fling, but couldn't reach the fellow by phone.)

My hood actually does have the crumple zones on it, but as you can see from my Fender Tag, it's a March 1970 car, which seems early to have that type of hood on the vehicle. And I'm almost certain it's the original hood. It still has red paint on the hood under the hood latch and the other places. Of course, it could have been hit in the front and repainted too.

fc7cuda

A21 car  :veryexcited:

Is that V1X on there twice or is that V?X

Tom

fc7cuda

Also, if I'm reading it right.  V5W on and FE5 car with V1X top.  That's going to look really neat!

Good find on the body w/#s motor.  Hope the block turns out ok.  You'll have a nice one when done.  :congrats:

Tom

Cuda Cody

The Vinyl top on LA built E-Bodies is always listed twice.   Not sure why, but just something they did.

Quote from: fc7cuda on January 11, 2017, 01:21:23 PM
A21 car  :veryexcited:

Tom

Cuda Cody

@1970Cuda  Sent you the guys name and phone number of the guy that has the hood.  His name is Karl.

Timbbuc2

Will be interesting to follow your build, pics pics and more pics
Get in, I'll drive

anlauto

Are you going to restore it back the way it came ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Chryco Psycho

fc7cuda

Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 11, 2017, 02:33:06 PM
The Vinyl top on LA built E-Bodies is always listed twice.   Not sure why, but just something they did.

Tom
[/quote]

Yeah, I'd read that before.  Just hoping someone knew why?? :thinking:

usraptor

Nice project.  Keep us posted on your progress. :bigthumb:

1970Cuda

So I've be AWOL on my restoration project for a while, due to other commitments (namely work).

But it's not like I've been totally neglecting my project. I've been taking assessment on what's needed, making lists and budgets. All the fun stuff.

I've also been having items media blasted and then having them clear-zinc coated. The black oxide I'll do myself, thanks to Cuda Cody's video. So for those, I've just had them media treated and then will wire wheel them and then into their "bath."

Here's a couple of pictures of my latest work. Not as much as need to really move the project forward, but at least I'm not totally stalled out!

I still need to find a good restoration shop to perform the body work. It's been a struggle as leads keep drying up and there are too many negatives on the shop to move forward.

Oh, and because I'm doing a rotisserie, I'm looking to go in with a friend to buy one used. Or, if anyone knows of a manufacture that has a reall slick one, please pass it along to me.

I appreciate the feedback everyone!

Regards, 1970Cuda

Cuda Cody

Thanks for checking in buddy and giving us an update on your project.  Wish I knew someone to refer you to for the body work.   :sorry: 

Nice job on the small parts so far!   :banana: