Main Menu

1970 AAR Cuda Paint finish on spoiler and tail panel?

Started by PURE STOCK AUTO, September 14, 2021, 05:18:11 AM

Previous topic Next topic

PURE STOCK AUTO

On a 1970 AAR Cuda the hood and front fender /door top surfaces received organasol black textured paint from the factory.

My question is did the rear spoiler and tail panel get painted in same organasol black paint or were they just painted a regular low sheen black paint?

Thanks for your feedback.

anlauto

On the original paint AAR I restored a while ago, I found NO SIGNS of texture on the spoiler and maybe very faint on the tail panel
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

PURE STOCK AUTO

Thanks anlauto

I guess that would make sense that hood, fender tops, door tops and rear tail panel would get Organasol black as the they were all part of the true body and painted at one time at Chrysler assembly plant.

The rear spoiler would have been manufactured by Mopar parts supplier somewhere else and shipped in to assembly plant so maybe just raw ABS plastic/ no paint or low sheen satin black paint?

If you just restored the above AAR Cuda what did you do?

anlauto

I just used flat black paint on both with a little texture on the tail panel.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

benguin

The rear spoiler is definitely a smoother finish in the flat to semi-gloss family. The tail was originally Organosol, but can get close results with flat shot carefully.

If you haven't seen it, there is an interesting article on background and shooting Organosol.  There are several other articles out there.  When I needed a repair, my local shop had never used it, but they loved the unique end result.

https://moparconnectionmagazine.com/organosol-separating-truth-from-fiction/

And rightfully should note Cody's article: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=125355.0

70 Top Banana

Cody has a great you tube vid on how to shoot organisol.

PURE STOCK AUTO

Thank you for chiming in both Benguin and Top Banana, yes have viewed Cody's great videos.

Anlauto, did you notice black organasol paint blow through into door jambs at both front and rear of doors, leaving overspray in door jambs or did they mask off to prevent overspray at factory?

Any pics showing this detail on your original paint AAR Cuda?

Please post pics, thanks Rich

anlauto

Rich
Some have stated that the black was done first, masked off, then the body colour. I don't know, I've never studied enough of these original cars to know, hopefully others will chime in.

Here are the only pictures I have of the original black-out

Cheers...Alan

PURE STOCK AUTO

Thanks Alan for posting additional pics, these are very helpful.

Do you recall any black overspray blowing down into door jamb between rear of door and rear quarter and front of door and rear of front fender into door hinge area?

I am doing a concours correct restoration on my customers 1970 AAR Cuda and want get these details correct.
Let me know ?

anlauto

I don't believe there would be any overspray in those areas...OE Concours is a pretty high standard, I'm not the guy to be asking about that....There're plenty more guys on here that set their aim on that level...hopefully they'll chime in...