Main Menu

1970 rear bumper guards chrome chipped

Started by nsmall, October 02, 2017, 10:00:17 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

So I bought these OEM re-chromed bumper guards from Tricity Plating. I like OEM pieces.

Well today I installed them and unfortunately a chunk flaked off when snugging them up.  I'm assuming this should NOT have happened?  I didn't over tighten them, I just snugged them up and snap.  I'm assuming they should be snugged tight so maybe there was too much chrome over hanging?

The last 2 pictures best shows the over hanging chrome.

Thanks

1 Wild R/T

Contact Tri-City, they are good folks & likely will take care of you without any issue...

Burdar

The same thing happened to me with my original bumper guards.  The chroming process changed the contour of the bumper guards so they didn't fit the bumper perfectly any more.  When I tightened them down,(NOT OVERLY TIGHT) the chrome cracked.  Tri-City rechromed them at no cost to me but the guy on the phone seemed mad about it. 

Before sending them off for the second time, I used a flap wheel on an angle grinder to change the shape of the bumper guards where they meet the bumper.  When I shipped them, they matched the bumper perfectly.  When they came back, once again, they didn't match.  I actually had to grind on them again so they fit.  I painted the lip that touches the bumper so it wouldn't be bare metal.

Tri-Cities chrome(maybe every ones chrome now) is pretty brittle.  I put hairline cracks in the very top corner of my front bumper by just trying to "nudge" the bumper over to the drivers side a 1/2".  I think I'm going to talk to Roseville about bumpers for my Dart.

nsmall

Thanks Wild RT and Burdar.  I really appreciate your advice.

Ill be mindful of everything you said Burdar.

Neil