Main Menu

Rear valance/bumper relationship question

Started by Mrbill426, August 05, 2022, 08:57:00 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Mrbill426

@gzig5 ok, gotcha  :cheers:

Quote from: gzig5 on August 08, 2022, 06:15:20 AM
My bad.  I meant filler, and the 72 didn't have it.  73/74 do.

Mrbill426

@anlauto I tend to agree... I think something is off with at least the left bracket.  . This car had been wrecked at least once so maybe it was tweaked then.  I should have paid closer attention when I took it apart over 10 years ago  ::)  Maybe the (not original) re-chromed bumper is twisted a bit too... I will either order a new set or take it all apart for the THIRD time and compare the two sides.  The more I remove and install that valance the more chances I have of screwing up its paint or the quarter's paint  :(
I have tried removing the bumper with the valance on and it just does not seem to have enough room to angle it out.

I have another re-chromed rear bumper but as you can see the holes for the bumper guard are up high on it so my ('72) guards would not fit properly.  I wonder  :thinking: could that bumper be for a '73-'74?  Also I see  (now) where the original bumper took a hit.

Quote from: anlauto on August 08, 2022, 06:15:07 AM

Your side view explains why the gap is different from the bumper guard to rear valance in your first post. It has nothing to do with the rear valance.
I think the bumper brackets need a little attention  :thinking: You can use the lower "L" bracket that supports the bumper guard to pull the guard in a bit, but I don't think you'll be able to correct the entire issue that way, the bumper is out quite a bit :alan2cents: