Main Menu

70-71 Chrome bumpers OER, AMD, other ?

Started by Jocigar, March 16, 2023, 07:44:06 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Jocigar

Folks,  any feedback if these are from different sources and if the chrome/quality looks better on one versus the other ? 

Thank you!

anlauto

Keystone makes the nicest ones, Contact Roseville Moparts :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Jocigar

Thank you Sir!    I was about to email them about the AMDs but decided to ask before I order... glad I did.

Mr Cuda

Went to order 2 70 barracuda,  and out of stock

Challenger in NC

Placed an order for the Keystone bumper (70 Challenger) with Roseville a couple years ago. Think they had std. and show quality finish when I inquired. Very nice finish but I'm wondering if the profile is off some because my front bumperettes don't come close to fitting.

anlauto

Quote from: Mr Cuda on March 16, 2023, 10:37:08 AM
Went to order 2 70 barracuda,  and out of stock

There's not a lot of things "in stock" these days  :pullinghair:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

RacerX

This is how the original mopar bumperettes fit on an AMD 70-71 cuda rear bumper...

not well at all.     

Second picture is how they fit on the original mopar bumper.

Other issues are the hole placement is not as original but the bumperettes would
cover that if they fit...

Jocigar

Regarding the bumperettes, do both the original and aftermarket not fit?  is it a matter of elongating the holes so they can slide down to meet curve?   

I called local plating shop and they quoted 400 to 600 each for originals. wondering are the AMD acceptable quality ? can i expect them to run parallel to tail panel and the ends to fit quarter inset area ?      thanks !

cuda hunter

AMD has bumpers on sale right now. 

They have the 70 fronts in stock and on sale.
The rears are out of stock and not on sale.

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

71CudaGA4

Nothing beats originals in my experience but rechroming is getting crazy expensive! I had a pair of Cuda bumpers done last year and cost was a little over $1000 each. I live in Minnesota

Plumcrazzy

Often, I see posts regarding the high cost of Chrome Plating and it is true. Have members here looked into Spray Chrome? Check it out on youtube..........you might be surprised. I know it isn't as durable as Chrome Plating but for some items it just might be the ticket. It should be a lot cheaper.

Jocigar

A month ago AMD had almost fully recovered with most cuda parts in stock.   Looking around their website they are out of most items again... I thought we had turned a corner on covid bottleneck  :dunno:

Anyway, Getting rear keystone from roseville so I can set the quarters and gaps.

@RacerX 
@anlauto
any feedback on bumperettes?  maybe I should order a set at same time if I can elongate holes to have them hug the keystone bumper curvature better than pictured.   Thanks!

RacerX

Quote from: Jocigar on March 20, 2023, 06:47:02 AM

Regarding the bumperettes, do both the original and aftermarket not fit?  is it a matter of elongating the holes so they can slide down to meet curve?   

I called local plating shop and they quoted 400 to 600 each for originals. wondering are the AMD acceptable quality ? can i expect them to run parallel to tail panel and the ends to fit quarter inset area ?      thanks !

By original and aftermarket do you mean the bumpers or the bumperettes?   I do not have any aftermarket
bumperettes.    What I have is a set of AMD front and rear bumpers and my two original front and rears.  I
had the original bumpers and bumperettes rechromed and will be using them instead of the AMD.   

I purchased the AMD bumpers back when I ordered all of the sheet metal "just in case" I could not use my
originals.  After that I stumbled upon a chrome shop that could repair and rechrome the originals at a
reasonable price.   What I got back from them is far superior to the AMD and is original to the car so I will
be using those.   The "final nail in the coffin" for the AMD bumper was the poor fit of the bumperettes.  I
do not recall if it was just a "hole in the wrong place" issue.  I want to say that the curvature was off and
while it may fit better if you tweak the hole it still won't sit flush and pretty like it does on the original.

Unfortunately I am away for a few weeks and can't test-fit it again with these goals in mind at the moment...

anlauto

I'm not sure what brand bumper guards I've purchased in the past, but you can make them work I'm sure :alan2cents: :bigthumb: