Main Menu

70 Cuda grille installation

Started by B5fourspeed, March 14, 2021, 12:11:17 PM

Previous topic Next topic

B5fourspeed

What is the best way to install the front grille?Center section first or do you assemble the whole grille as one and then install it.Been over 10 years since my last car and I forgot how I did it.Thanks

Jay Bee

I've only ever installed my 70 grilles by the centre section first then the headlight bezel/covers.

B5fourspeed

anlauto

It would be nice to assemble the three pieces on the bench, then install, but I think it would be very hard to line everything up...the two headlight bezels have some "in-out" adjustment for that purpose. Can it be done, YES, but is it easier or quicker, I doubt it :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

FE5CUDA

Put the center in first with all the bolts loose.  There is almost zero adjustment left to right, the center (upper/lower) bolts do not move hardly at all.  Install the buckets, once you put the two outer chrome screws in, that's pretty much where they are going to stay.  You'll be able to push the grill around very little, don't get jammed up when your buckets don't line up with the center grille perfectly, they never did.

B5fourspeed

I notice that also.You have the big oval holes but the upper and lower holes gives you zero play unless I drill them out a little.Thank you for the help.

Jay Bee

I don't know if this'll be any help in your case but I filed down my reproduction spacers in preparation for my grille install.
See the pictures I posted in replies #19 and #22 in the following thread.

https://forum.e-bodies.org/body-shop/5/70-cuda-grill-help/1690/msg255182#msg255182

Jay Bee

Sorry, dumb question coming BUT I really can't remember and the body shop is asking too.

Can the 70 grille be installed once the bumper is already on the car?

DeathProofCuda

Quote from: Jay Bee on May 03, 2021, 12:55:54 PM
Sorry, dumb question coming BUT I really can't remember and the body shop is asking too.

I can get mine in and out with the bumper in place, but my bumper is a little tweaked, so not exactly sure what the situation would be for a nice straight bumper.  Sorry, probably not much help, but at least you got a bump to the top  :alan2cents:

FE5CUDA

Quote from: Jay Bee on May 03, 2021, 12:55:54 PM

Absolutely, as long as the bumper is put on correctly and not above the lower header.