Main Menu

help choosing a decent spray gun

Started by Jocigar, March 02, 2020, 07:13:48 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Jocigar

Quote from: PLUM72 on March 03, 2020, 07:01:11 AM
There was no mention of air compressor size here.  You're going to get poor results with a top quality spray gun if you don't have the air to feed it.   HVLP works great with the large two stage compressors.  If you have a small 20 gallon compressor, it may not be able to meet the demands.  In which case you might look at a LVLP gun.  Uses much less air but still has the transfer efficiency.  Look at the Devilbiss GFG-670 its a bit more than $250.  There may be knockoffs of this out there for a lower price.  Check into Astro Pnuematic.

I ordered the GFG-670, double the price of the black widow but hopefully will be worth it in finished product.   I saw too much orange peel in the BW HTE videos.   

GFG comes with 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 tips   what am I using for base and clear ?  thanks for the advise.

Chaos-N-Mayhem

I've got a 3m Accuspray gun and I really like it. It has interchangeable tips (tip heads)  and the PPS cups system with cup liner. One gun for everything and clean up is a breeze. Pretty reasonable, I think I paid $200 for it online. I also had a Sharpe Finex 300 that sprayed very well in paint school only matched by the kid with the Sata. Unfortunately that gun got ruined when I lent it to my brother and he shot heavy metallic through it and did not bother to clean it.

Cudascott

Sharpe Finex is what I've been using for a few years now and they do an excellent job. Mid line spray guns are just like any other tool only gonna be as good as the user.

JS29

Heavy orange peel can sometimes be the uses of the wrong temperature activator, drying to soon not enough flow.  :alan2cents:

HEMICUDA

Quote from: JS29 on March 06, 2020, 06:03:15 AM
Heavy orange peel can sometimes be the uses of the wrong temperature activator, drying to soon not enough flow.  :alan2cents:

You got that right Mark, I usually cocktail mine with slow and medium.  Having a quality gun is important for material flow.  I have 6 Iwata Super Nova's, 2 are on my pressure pots.

PLUM72

Quote from: Jocigar on March 05, 2020, 02:35:59 PM
GFG comes with 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 tips   what am I using for base and clear ?  thanks for the advise.
What ever paint you're spraying, look at the manufacturer's tech data sheet for that paint, primer, clear, etc.  This will give you info on tip size, air pressures, etc.  Its a great document that will help provide excellent results.  See the attached data sheet for example.  Look at page two for the gun info.
-Dave
'72 Challenger
'13 Challenger

Jocigar

:worship:  I'm learning... hands on to follow.  thx all