Main Menu

AMD quarter panel issues: help appreciated

Started by Blake@diyhemi.com, April 21, 2017, 11:27:14 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Blake@diyhemi.com

So tonight I pressed forward with dropping on my new AMD passenger (RH) quarter panel to the Barracuda and the panel looks great with exception to where it meets the door.

The door gap is beautiful but the quarter sticks out about 1/4" or less. It is seated all the way down on the door jamb panel from what I can tell. I have one tack weld holding it in place there until I figure this one out.

It seems to fit great at the rear window and Dutchman panel. The body lines match up great. The door area, not so much!
I'll grab pictures in the morning, but was wondering if anyone else experienced this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1970 AAR Cuda 
5.7 Hemi /A833 ~ DIYHEMI-Cuda
Looking for my numbers matching 340 TA block!
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

Your late model Hemi swap resource!

Tunis

Same problem here. You will need to cut it up... I think the bend at the lower body line is a little off and pushes quarter out. For me at least it was exactly at the bend where the difference was the greatest.

Per

Cuda Cody

Yes, post some photos.  Most of the time they will need a little work to make fit perfectly.  That means cutting and welding. 

BFM_Cuda

Same issue I had. I had to cut the flange at the lower body line in order to push the panel in to line up with the door.

This is an easy fix... when the outer wheelhouse and the quarter panel don't match up you start to pull your hair out...  :pullinghair:

Blake@diyhemi.com

1970 AAR Cuda 
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

71GranCoupe

Can you get a shot of the lower quarter where it attaches to the rocker area, may help to give some advice from the guys?

jimynick

The 1/4's in these cars usually push in and are nearly, if not completely touching the inner lock pillar. Make sure the 1/4 is as far in towards the pillar as possible and you can scribe the place where the new 1/4's edge is on the pillar and then measure the depth of the 1/4 flange and compare notes. If the both panels are touching, then you'll have to cut back the pillar's edge until it allows the 1/4 to mate up with the door edge. All of this is based on the door's lower edge fitting well to the rocker first. Good luck
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Cuda Cody

Hard to see really what is going on with the panel.  The photos are showing it doesn't fit, but I can't see enough to see why.  Here's a couple thoughts:

First thing I would do is get the door down to metal and put it in epoxy.  It looks like the door might have been painted at some point you and you want to make sure you're using a door without any filler.  If you're using a bare shell (no guts) put about 52 lbs of weight along the bottom (spread out evenly) so the door has about the same amount of sag that it will when it has all the window guts in it.  Then before I hang a new full quarter I like to align the door so it matching the old quarter first.  That way I know I have a good factory door edge to work with.  Then pull the old quarter and put the new one on.  Even then it's almost always going to take some cutting and welding to make it fit nice.  No two cars are alike and most of all the new metal is going to need work to get it to fit perfectly.

Blake@diyhemi.com

Sorry to delay fellas, I've been spending some quality time with my little boys doing dad/son stuff like building forts, lol

I will get back on this Friday as I have the day off and will be around.

From what I see, the door lines up perfectly with the rocker, front to rear. I think it's like many of you said, I will need to cut the door striker panel down at the outermost edge to get the 1/4 to suck in all the way. Right now it physically cannot go in any deeper.

Thanks again fellas in ensuring me that it's most likely just in need of tweaking and is to be expected. Believe it or not, I like this metal work. It's kind of relaxing. I've been going to town with my body shaping dollys and welding machine.

I even reached out to a few painters last week! I would love to get the car in color this summer.
Unfortunately, they haven't shown up as they said they would. As horrible as it sounds, I gauge painters by their responsiveness, work backlog, and timeliness in addition to their final example pieces.

I have seen many of my clients sit for years with their cars in body shop jail because the painter/body shop keeps placing it on the back burner. A guy stood me up 3 times last week for an appointment to bid on my car.

At this point, I'm debating on dusting off my old paint guns and doing it myself.

It's been nearly 8 years since I painted the fire truck and any other car. I bet I'm rusty as heck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1970 AAR Cuda 
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

RUNCHARGER

So far that looks like an easy fix. If you have the place to paint the car I would do it myself for sure.
Sheldon

soundcontrol

Quote from: Blake@diyhemi.com on April 25, 2017, 03:53:03 AM

Thanks again fellas in ensuring me that it's most likely just in need of tweaking and is to be expected. Believe it or not, I like this metal work. It's kind of relaxing. I've been going to town with my body shaping dollys and welding machine.

Same here, love the metal work, it's like therapy for me who spends all day behind computer screens. I wish I was better with the dolly and hammer though.

torredcuda

Sometimes the flanges( where the quarter panel was spotwelded to the door jamb) are oversize and need to be trimmed back a liitle, I`m not sure how close the AMD ones are?. Did you save the old quarter you cut off? I always save old panels for reference until I know I`m done fitting the new one, if not I`m sure someone here can measure the flange and you should be able to pretty much copy those dimensions on yours but of course every car is a bit different right from the factory.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/