Main Menu

Adding 71-72 Bumper Guards to 1973 'Cuda

Started by 72and86, October 22, 2017, 07:33:19 AM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

@compugod

You will have to buy (not being reproduced) 74 bumper guard  brackets.  Hopefully you can find a decent deal on the brackets as they are a part people don't need when doing the 70-72 conversion.  70-72 bumper brackets will not work on 74 bumper guards.

You can use your 74 front bumper and get rid of the guards by dropping a bumper bolt in the top part of the bumper that currently is used for the front bumper guard.  You have to slot your 74 bumper brackets to tuck in your front bumper.

as for the rear bumper you're going to have to get a 70-72 rear bumper and 70-72 bumper bracket  set unless you want to do a ton of customizing to your rear brackets which is going to be a total nightmare.  I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the 70-72 rear bumper guards won't fit on a 74 bumper. 

So if you like your front bumper the front will be okay but for the rear I think you're going to have to do a full conversion.

@Burdar is smart, maybe he can chime in.

Cudajason

I have done this on my 74 as well.

The front is easy...you can slot / re drill the brackets to slid the bumper in.  No parts required.  You will also need to remove the filler strip from the grill.  you may need to grind a little on the front panel fro clearance.

The rear is different...you will need the rear bumper brackets.  BUT on a 74 bumper, you the earlier brackets will not bolt up.  The bolt hole spacing is different.  You will need to drill new bolt holes and fill the extra holes.

The 74 bumper guards will fit the contour of the bumper, but will be too close to he valance using the earlier brackets.

Your best bet is to grab an earlier bumper and brackets. 

If you want to use your 74, I have a bumper brackets and I think bumper gaurs brackets form my 74...I can have a look if you want.

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

392 Cuda

Thanks again, @nsmall and @Cudajason !

I did check late last night and was able to find a 74 bumper guard bracket on eBay. I went ahead and purchased one for short-term.

This one is my daily driver downtown Chicago, so I don't mind the extra rubber right now.

I appreciate all the help and will probably pick up some early bumpers after paint.