Main Menu

Front bumper guards for 'Cuda

Started by Mrbill426, July 26, 2020, 07:57:09 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Mrbill426

Is there a repop source for front bumper guards for a ('72) Cuda?  Ours has front and rear but I can only find rear.  I am looking at options for repair/chrome vs replace.  Replace seems to be more affordable and available anymore.   Also trying to determine if the car is really supposed to have fronts to begin with.

:wrenching:

Mrbill426

How about has anyone besides me looked for them and not been able to find them?  :huh:

Burdar

Every E-body had rears.  They cover the slot in the valance.  Fronts were optional in some years.  I'm not sure if they were available in 72 or not.  Do you have the build sheet?  If you are going to put the front ones back on, you can have them re-chromed.  Back in 2012 I had my 73 bumper guards re-chromed by Tri-City Plating.  It cost me $60 for each bumper guard back then.

Burdar

According to the dealer data book at Hamtramck-Historical, front and rear bumper guards with rubber inserts were an extra cost option in 72.  Normally the rear guards would be just chrome with no rubber insert.  I THINK that when you ordered the fronts, you got rears with rubber inserts as well.

https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1972/72_Barracuda_19.jpg

318Stroker

Quote from: Burdar on July 29, 2020, 08:43:41 AM
Every E-body had rears.  They cover the slot in the valance.  Fronts were optional in some years.  I'm not sure if they were available in 72 or not.  Do you have the build sheet?  If you are going to put the front ones back on, you can have them re-chromed.  Back in 2012 I had my 73 bumper guards re-chromed by Tri-City Plating.  It cost me $60 for each bumper guard back then.

Front bumper guards were optional in 72. They were the slender ones like the 70 and 71. The optional rear bumper guards in 72 were rubber strips added to the existing chrome ones that filled the slots in the rear valence.

Mrbill426

@Burdar nothing about any guards on from the fender tag decipher but here is the build sheet where under Ft Bumper Guards it is blank but the next box says "5" and mentions (something) about guards but I don't know what in means.  :clueless:  It has the plain Jane rear one; the fronts were mounted on a bar and had the thin rubber inserts.
Maybe added by the dealer? :huh:

Mrbill426

@318Stroker thank you for that info  :bigthumb:

Quote from: 318Stroker on July 29, 2020, 08:55:03 AM
Quote from: Burdar on July 29, 2020, 08:43:41 AM

Front bumper guards were optional in 72. They were the slender ones like the 70 and 71. The optional rear bumper guards in 72 were rubber strips added to the existing chrome ones that filled the slots in the rear valence.

Mrbill426

I don't know what "WAG OPT PKG" with a "8" means either.

Burdar

I'm not a build sheet guru.  Others will chime in with what the "5" means in that box.  Post a picture of your front guards.

Mrbill426

@Burdar here they are...

anlauto

M85 should be front and rear bumper guards with rubber strips in my opinion.

M88 it's just your tail panel moldings  :alan2cents: Standard on all BS Cudas
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mrbill426

@anlauto  Interesting you mentioned the "88" code.  I was trying to sort that out the other day and one online code decipher calls it Quarter panel tape treatment" which I equated to a "stripe".  To me moldings and tape are definitely not the same.  But there is a M31 code on the tags that is supposed to mean "Belt & Hood moldings"?  This car has no side moldings, at least not when I bought it.  It has the lower rocker moldings, tail moldings and moldings below the side glass.

Quote from: anlauto on July 29, 2020, 09:48:15 AM
M85 should be front and rear bumper guards with rubber strips in my opinion.

M88 it's just your tail panel moldings  :alan2cents: Standard on all BS Cudas

Mrbill426

As it looked when we got it and before I tore it down...

Burdar

WOW! I like that a lot.  The white looks awesome with the white walls.  Are white walls correct for the car?  Hopefully you are leaving them on.

When I told my best friend I was going to put white walls on my Challenger, he said that he hopped I was kidding.  After he saw the car done, the first thing he said was "I'm glad you didn't listen to me about the white walls."  They look great on certain cars.  :alan2cents:

Mrbill426

@Burdar I never thought about it actually.  Not sure about the correctness, those are radials but I do have the original spare I will take a look at it.

Quote from: Burdar on July 29, 2020, 10:11:21 AM
WOW! I like that a lot.  The white looks awesome with the white walls.  Are white walls correct for the car?  Hopefully you are leaving them on.

When I told my best friend I was going to put white walls on my Challenger, he said that he hopped I was kidding.  After he saw the car done, the first thing he said was "I'm glad you didn't listen to me about the white walls."  They look great on certain cars.  :alan2cents: