Main Menu

Are these hood hinges NOS?

Started by 7E-Bodies, July 11, 2024, 04:36:47 PM

Previous topic Next topic

7E-Bodies

Getting to the restoration point that I want to make sure my hood hinges are good to go. Keep in mind I bought this 70 U code as a project from an older guy that was a swap meet addict and passed along a ton of rare parts with the deal. My question is are these already restored/rebuilt or do I toss more money and just send them to Rick when he may have already done these? Do the stampings indicate anything? Notice zero pitting or obvious wear (other than what I did when checking panel alignment). Eager for input from the group.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

EV2RTSE

All of the used 70 hinges I've ever had showed at least some wear on the teeth, such as chipped edges. These were sent to Rick, he welds them back up so they're all straight and the tooth pattern is better/tighter than factory. Unfortunately I don't have a good 'after' pic of the teeth on the ones he redid for me but I could probably get one this weekend. If yours aren't showing any wear on the teeth I'd probably go ahead and use them as-is.   

EV2RTSE

I zoomed in on the pic of them after they were redone.

Jay Bee

What if you took the spring off, would that help reveal if there's any play in the bushings. That spring holds everything tight and it may be hard to notice any slop.

bc3j

I sent my '70 hood hinges to RestoRick. They came back better than new. He does excellent work. The '70 hinges are one year only with a 1 1/8" top bar and 5/16" bolts.  '71-74 had a 1 3/8" top bar with 3/8" bolts.

7E-Bodies

@bc3j thanks.  I'll get those measurements to verify. I've already been in contact with Rick with photos and he recommended 1) remove springs and check for slop as @Jay Bee says, and 2) Just ship them to him so he can verify/recommend. At over $100 just for the round trip as well as the risk involved of loss in shipping, I'm trying to verify here first. My next move is to remove the springs and get those measurements. It just seemed amazing that there were no wear or weathering marks on these, making me think Rick had already gotten to them under previous ownership.

bc3j

I insured my hinges and sent them via UPS. I spent the extra money for shipping insurance and I'm not sorry I did. He does excellent work and I felt it was well worth the insurance cost for the quality of his work. I paid extra to have them painted and they came back like they were brand new. I definitely recommend his work. Like anything else, sometimes it costs a little more but in the end it was well worth the expense for the quality of the rebuild.

7E-Bodies

@bc3j tops are definitely 1-1/8"