Main Menu

Rear frame rail dent. What would u do. Pics attached

Started by northerncuda2021, June 06, 2022, 06:41:50 PM

Previous topic Next topic

northerncuda2021

Going through my rear ended on cuda.  Going to re arch springs and thinking it would be a good time to do something with this dent in the rail.  I am installing a rear sway bar also so of course it's right where bracket should bolt!!  What to do.  Cut out a section and weld in a new one.  Leave it and live with it??  Change the whole rail ???   :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(.  Let me know your opinion please.  It's a mixed matched car.  Nothing orginsl and I'm ok with that.  Sunday night cruiser kind of thing!!  Thank you. 

jimynick

If you have access to a repair stud welder and were to heat the rail to red to pull, you might get somewhere, or you cut out a window that allows you to get inside wherever you may need to go, do your repair and then weld the window back in, grind/fill your welds and call 'er a day. Just my  :alan2cents:   :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Jocigar

I would take some frame measurements to make sure its not a buckle crease from taking a hit versus frame dent.

I had something similar on the front side of rail and it disappeared after being pulled at from frame shop.

FE5CUDA

Weld a pull tab on it, heat up that area and slide hammer it out.

northerncuda2021

Yup that's what I'm thinking.  Cut a window, work bottom straight weld a slightly thicker piece in and call it good.

northerncuda2021

Take some frame measurements is a good idea.  I'll search up some specs and go from there.  It does look like it was hit at some point.  Maybe tire came off or something.

gzig5

If the metal isn't thin from rust, you have options and the work will be easier.  My car has a rear sway bar and the frame was completely rusted out under the mounts.  I had to cut back to thicker metal and formed a couple c-shaped plates to weld in.  Worked great and you can't see the repair.  I think what you have there will be pretty straight forward whether you cut and bend or just heat and form.

I did one side at a time but even with the big hole in the rail, the body never drooped or moved during the process.  Just for giggles support the frame on both sides of the defect before you cut.

northerncuda2021

Quote from: gzig5 on June 08, 2022, 12:57:44 PM
If the metal isn't thin from rust, you have options and the work will be easier.  My car has a rear sway bar and the frame was completely rusted out under the mounts.  I had to cut back to thicker metal and formed a couple c-shaped plates to weld in.  Worked great and you can't see the repair.  I think what you have there will be pretty straight forward whether you cut and bend or just heat and form.

I did one side at a time but even with the big hole in the rail, the body never drooped or moved during the process.  Just for giggles support the frame on both sides of the defect before you cut.

Thanks that's great advice!!!  I put supports before I do and hearing or cutting.  I think I'll start with heat and a slide hammer and go from there.  Thsnks to all