Main Menu

Body plugs

Started by B5fourspeed, June 04, 2020, 07:44:47 PM

Previous topic Next topic

B5fourspeed

It has been over 10 years since my last restoration.My current 70 Cuda I just got back from the paint shop on Monday.Seems like everything I attempt to put on the car there is an issue.I am putting the body plugs in now.The one on the floor pans were not bad because I could beat them in with a rubber mallet.The 4 that go next to the drop-offs in the trunk look like they will be a pain.I am afraid of cracking the paint when using the rubber mallet.You need to hit the crap out of the them.Any Ideas on getting them in.Thanks When they sell the body plug kits why don't they tell you which one goes where.

70 Challenger Lover

I like to use a socket of the right size and then I just press down hard. No mallet.

B5fourspeed

Thank you.I will try that.

Mr Lee

If I remember correctly, I think I dabbed a little bit of grease on some of them to help em in... which also doubles as rust prevention  :) Then wipe off any excess

I sympathize with your comment about how "everything you try to put on the car, there is an issue."  Im getting close to finishing my car and have been feeling like that for the past 6 months of steady work.  I hope you have better luck.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

Topcat

Use a heat gun from a distance to get the plastic a little softer.

...Or put out in the Sun for a while. 

Plastic durometer changes slightly from heat.
But of course  it's a variable.

Socket was what I did too installing.

https://www.industrialspec.com/about-us/blog/detail/what-is-durometer-elastomer-and-plastic-hardness

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Floyd

I did this job not too long ago. I told myself "I'll just pop those body plugs in".  Turned out to be a bigger struggle than expected.  I too used dabs of grease, no mallet.  I wish I would have tried the socket technique. Makes you wonder how they did it on the assembly line.

Burdar

I'll try the socket trick next time.  I remember my thumbs hurting pretty bad when I got done putting the plugs in my Challenger.

Mrbill426

That's what I just did using  a dab of lithium and the female end of a socket extension; worked fine.  :bigthumb:  At first I was irritated that plugs in the set I bought were all just too big for the holes  :unbelievable:

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on June 04, 2020, 07:56:46 PM
I like to use a socket of the right size and then I just press down hard. No mallet.

gzig5

I think I'm going to weld every one of them closed.  I can see the need or reason to use the rubber plugs on a stock type restoration, but most of those holes serve no purpose other than as a spot for water to get in or rust to form, once the car left the factory.

B5fourspeed

The 70 Cuda Body plug kit did not come with 2 other sizes I needed.I had  6 left over.Why can't the suppliers kit come with a diagram  showing where the plugs go.I have a 70 car and the kit did not match up to  holes I have.The socket did work but I torn a couple plugs because they were very stiff.

jamesroney

Hello,
Did you end up with an extra plug to fit
A 1-7/8 Hole?

I would love to buy it.

I ended up needing exactly one more plug on my 70 convertible.
BS23N0E

B5fourspeed

B5fourspeed

Pm me your address I will send it to on the house.I have 2 if you want both.

Topcat

Bob,

Come down and visit both of us.

James lives down the street from me.

you met before.