Main Menu

B body 8 3/4 housing swap. Drain/fill plugs?

Started by FSHTAIL, July 31, 2017, 01:39:34 PM

Previous topic Next topic

FSHTAIL

I haven't looked under my Cudas original 8 3/4 rear end, but on my new to me 65 B-Body 8 3/4 there isn't a drain plug, are these just fill till you spill?

I'm thinking of adding a drain to it for ease of use.   

Has anyone done this? 

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

Burdar

The fill plug is on the center section. There isn't anything on the housing. If you are going to be doing a lot of gear changes, a drain plug might be nice. Usually you just crack the center section loose and let the fluid drain.

I'm thinking about adding a drain plug to mine. Some fluid stays in the bottom of the housing. A drain plug would let all of the fluid out. If there is any debris in the bottom, you want to get it out of there.

Put the plug in the very bottom of the housing...not in the back.

Cuda Cody

:iagree:  No drain plug in that housing.  Not a big deal as today's synthetic fluids last a LOOOOONG time.   My work trucks do not have a drain plugs and the factory manual says not to replace the fluid in the rear end.  Lifetime fluid...  doesn't make me feel great, but they are work trucks and we've never had an issue up to and over 300,000 miles of heavy work.  So when I do a new 8 3/4 I put the synthetic in and it will last longer then me.

FSHTAIL

Are you running any sort of friction modifier for the sure grip?

Cuda Cody

Check the brand you use.  Some of the synthetics already have it in them.  If it does not, then you will need to add it.

Shane Kelley

Quote from: Chris Pauluk on July 31, 2017, 07:34:43 PM
Are you running any sort of friction modifier for the sure grip?

I think most if not all synthetics are good to go without posi additive. I run Lucas synthetic in my rear diffs straight out of the bottle and that's it. No issues.

Burdar

If you are running a clutch style sure-grip or a cone style, your fluid is going to fill with clutch/cone material.  In that case, I would think a periodic fluid change would be a good idea.  For an extremely budget conscious person, they could filter the fluid and reuse it.  A drain plug makes sense if you aren't worried about factory correctness.  :alan2cents:

Brads70

On my old 8 3/4 I did this.

FSHTAIL

Fill plug is at the same height as the 3rds filler.   

Just making life easier.

1 Wild R/T

My suggestion.. Get rid of the drain plug with the protruding square wrench area & get one with a recessed hex or square.....

Shane Kelley

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on August 08, 2017, 11:16:57 PM
My suggestion.. Get rid of the drain plug with the protruding square wrench area & get one with a recessed hex or square.....
:iagree:

FSHTAIL

I will, this is just what I had at the time.