Main Menu

Fun with Body Plugs

Started by moparroy, July 26, 2021, 04:16:13 PM

Previous topic Next topic

moparroy

Or should I call it frustration.
The body plug kit I bought some time ago for my '74 Cuda 360 project did not include some plugs I need:
1. There are two holes in the front floor just in front of the seats and behind the transmission cross member - these are very symmetrically placed toward the outside of the floor and measure 5/8" in diameter. Not sure - but I suspect they are original - not shown in any hole photos I have seen. Anyone come across those before?
2. The car is a radio delete car - I need something to plug the antenna cable hole in the right kick panel area. Measure this on the large side of 3/4" but less than 13/16.
3. Need something to plug the manual washer pump line hole in the firewall - it seems the car came with electric WW - the switch is there and switch, motor and wiring are 3 speed and per fender tag. Although there was a manual pump in place on the floor when I got the car.
4. From another thread here - there is a hole beside the speedo cable hole in the firewall - conclusion seemed to be this was for remote hood release. The release cable has no grommet so need something to accommodate that. This also measures 5/8".
5. Two plugs for the holes on top of the rear tail panel above the license plate light - measure as 1 1/4" - I actually have the original ones and could use in a pinch but prefer new ones.

Frustration is I cannot seem to find anything that fits these holes properly - well not yet.

For the 5/8" holes I ordered some rubber plugs on line that were advertised as 5/8" hole size - they are too small - yes they stay in the hole but way too loose. Measured them as under 0.6" in the hole fitting diameter. So I thought go a little larger - ordered some 3/4" ones from Metro through RA - well they are a true 3/4" so they don't fit either - but too small for the antenna cable hole and a 7/8" I ordered is too big.
For the manual WW line hole I ordered an application specific SM56A plug from Metro - unfortunately they short shipped me on that one so I need to wait a couple days. Not sure if it will have holes in it for the lines that I need to fill with RTV or something or will it be sealed.
For the tail panel what Metro has is press or sunken center - flush would be better so it does not collect water.

Are there known reliable sources for any of these specific applications or dimensions? Before I go and order more on a guess. Cost and delivery to Canada the next question. I thought Metro would be more helpful as I ordered a selection but they don't have a 5/8" plug I could find - and theirs are plastic - might prefer rubber for the floor.

I don't remember where I bought the original kit - some swap meet trip either Carlisle or Moparfest likely - the rest of the kit was ok - some of the plugs took some coaxing with lube and a heat gun to go in but they are installed now.

anlauto

Stop by my house anytime, I have everything you need, except maybe the antenna plug.  :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

All the plugs I have are brand new :alan2cents: No shipping to Rockwood... :haha: :haha: :haha:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Floyd

I have a stash of NOS antenna cable plugs.  Cover the postage and you can have one.

PM me your contact info.

moparroy

Thanks appreciate it Alan and Floyd.
RA already shipped the replacement SM56A plug for the manual WW hole - its supposed to arrive Thursday so I'll wait and see if that issue is solved and I'll follow up with you later in the week. Thanks Roy

anlauto

FWIW...the two plugs in the floor in front of the seats, next to the rocker are supposed to be plastic ''cup type" plugs, not rubber. :alan2cents:

anlauto

It was nice to meet Roy today, put a face to the name and talk car stories for awhile, I always enjoy visitors.  :wave:

Seemed like a great guy with a passion for his Cuda, I'm glad I was able to help him out with at least a couple of plugs that he needed  :drinkingbud:

moparroy

Thanks Alan - yes it was nice to meet up - appreciate you sharing your expertise and helping me out. For me the learning is some of the best part of this long project - takes a little (or a lot) longer but its rewarding when you figure it out. Always great to learn from a Master!

Occurred to me after I left that you might know the car - I bought it about mid way between us in Acton. When I first met Glenn I remember he said "You're the one who bought that car in Acton" - so I figured he had looked at it or seen the ad in the Buy and Sell (Kijiji on paper LOL - wow times change). It was sitting beside a shop just off #25 by the little bridge south of #7. I recall the fellow lived in Grand Valley and was a partner in this shop in Acton.

Thanks again.