Main Menu

Bumper filler

Started by Squire Edgar, December 28, 2017, 03:53:49 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Squire Edgar

I have a 73 Challenger that I'm in the process of changing over the rear bumper to the '70 through '72 style and am collecting the parts that I need to complete it. Is there any strip that goes between the bumper and the tail light panel or does the bumper just mount up flush to the panel?

nsmall

71GranCoupe

I don't have any pictures, but I know for a fact on 70's there is a metal piece a little over 5' long and about 1" wide that has a slight curve in the 1" width. It screws to the tail panel under the bumper. Will look for pictures.  :cheers:

Spikedog08

Hmmm I know on the cuda there is not but not sure on the challenger . . Sorry.  :dunno:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Burdar

Not sure if 72s used that piece or not. Before spending the money, fit the bumper and see if it's needed. 70 and 71 need it or you'll see a gap between the bumper and tail panel. The 72+ tail panel is shaped differently. You might not need it.

Squire Edgar

Quote from: Burdar on December 31, 2017, 03:48:37 PM
Not sure if 72s used that piece or not. Before spending the money, fit the bumper and see if it's needed. 70 and 71 need it or you'll see a gap between the bumper and tail panel. The 72+ tail panel is shaped differently. You might not need it.
Thanks guys, I'm going to give this suggestion a try to see if it's even needed.

RUNCHARGER

That piece is screwed to the bottom of the tail light panel, any holes in your 72?
Sheldon

rhamson

8) Yes there is a filler piece of metal the goes along the bottom of the tail panel. It was on on both of my '72 Challengers. It usually takes a beating from the rust so used ones are becoming hard to find. AMD posts new ones on their site.

http://www.autometaldirect.com/amd-rear-bumper-filler-70-72-challenger-p-5126.html

Squire Edgar

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on December 31, 2017, 07:25:32 PM
That piece is screwed to the bottom of the tail light panel, any holes in your 72?
There is the wide rubber trim that is screwed on that comes on the '73. If I decide to get the replacement trim that's for a 70 through 72 will the holes line up with my existing 73 rubber molding or are the holes different?

71GranCoupe

Quote from: Squire Edgar on January 01, 2018, 10:33:48 AM
Quote from: RUNCHARGER on December 31, 2017, 07:25:32 PM
There is the wide rubber trim that is screwed on that comes on the '73. If I decide to get the replacement trim that's for a 70 through 72 will the holes line up with my existing 73 rubber molding or are the holes different?

73/74 is completely different. The filler is actually 3 pieces and have a rubber coating on them. The long straight one is similar to the 70-72, and there are two end pieces that wrap around the quarter between the bumper/quarter.

Burdar

I don't know for sure but my guess is that the hole locations are different. You can probably fill the factory holes with seam sealer, strip caulk or just reinstall the screws.