Main Menu

Bumper Straightening

Started by moparcar, April 08, 2018, 05:15:22 PM

Previous topic Next topic

moparcar

My Challenger is not a stock restoration. I plan on smoothing, tucking and painting my bumpers (at least the rear). My present bumper has a couple of small bends in it. Not tight kinks, but small bends. It puts the bumper out of straight by about a 1/2-3/4" over the total length. I don't have a press so I've attempted without success straightening with means I have---again with no success. Since I plan on stripping the chrome, welding on them, etc., am I better to have local bumper repair shop straighten it or just buy a new reproduction to work with. Can the bumper shops straighten these easily? Can they strip the chrome to bare metal? I've never had a local bumper shop do this type of work for me.

Thanks-Wes

Cuda Cody

Do you have a photo of the damage? 

My experience has not been good with my local chrome shops.  I will do anything I can not to have to work with Chrome shops any more so it's not easy for me to recommend giving them to a bumper / chrome shop to repair.  However, I've seen others who have had chrome shops straighten bumpers and they seem to do good work.  But it's not cheap. 

moparcar

Here's a couple of pictures. Sort of hard to see. Not huge but definitely enough to not be straight.
Thanks for your input Cody.

Katfish

I'd check pricing, would be surprised if a local shop would be less expensive than just buying a repo bumper.

RUNCHARGER

A local chrome shop charged me $100 to strip two hemi valvecovers. I pick them up and the top chrome layer is stripped but not the layers underneath. They wanted $1000 to rechrome two nice Challenger bumpers too, so like Cody I don't bother dealing with them. You have nothing to lose trying to straighten that one but if it doesn't work out just buy a repro bumper I think.
I know the excuses for the chemicals, regulations etc. however this same chrome shop chromes bumpers for Kenworths and Western Stars for about the same price as a Challenger bumper so I have a bit of trouble believing anything that comes out of their mouth.
Sheldon

Cuda Cody

:iagree:  If you can do the work yourself, go for it and you'll be money ahead.  If you have to pay someone to fix them, ,you'll most likely be better off with the bumpers that @MoparDave  sells that are the same factory thickness.  You might see if he can get you a set that are not chromed when he places his next order?  I have not had any luck with AMD bumpers.   :alan2cents:

moparcar

Thanks everyone. Looks like a repro or buy a press!

MoparDave

Quote from: MoparCar on April 08, 2018, 07:05:54 PM
Thanks everyone. Looks like a repro or buy a press!

pretty much.  I can get you the Keystone or the AMD rear bars. LMK is I can help.
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

moparcar

Dave, are you able to get any without chrome in bare metal?

nsmall

@MoparDave not sure if you saw the question above.

750-h2

@MoparDave, are you telling us that Keystone is finally selling straight rear bumpers for the Challenger. If that's the case I will be ordering a set from you. :fingerscrossed:

MoparDave

Quote from: MoparCar on April 09, 2018, 11:23:27 AM
Dave, are you able to get any without chrome in bare metal?

that has been a topic of discussion a few times and NO they will not sell a raw bumper.
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

MoparDave

Quote from: 750-h2 on April 10, 2018, 09:18:38 AM
@MoparDave, are you telling us that Keystone is finally selling straight rear bumpers for the Challenger. If that's the case I will be ordering a set from you. :fingerscrossed:

I figured you may chime in. Again it is hit and miss. Some are worse than other with the crowning issue. The plant doesn't see this as a major issue and its a roll of the dice. Last couple of challenger rears that I sold was from AMD.

moparcar

Does anyone know of any fiberglass versions of elastermeric (sp) bumpers for Challengers?AAR/Stinger makes them for Cudas but I don't see Challengers? That would be another option for me. Love the look but not so sure on the cost. They are worth it for a restoration but my case it's a modified car.

Thanks

Wes

nsmall

@MoparCar Try Tricity Bumpers in Tennessee for a raw bumper.   Phone: (423) 542-6532

Im somewhat picky and liked their work and customer service.