Main Menu

Custom fender flares on a 1970 Challenger

Started by Brads70, December 30, 2016, 06:31:14 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Brads70

Quote from: IRON MAN on October 27, 2017, 09:03:03 PM
There are  members at TheAMCFORUM that consider it sacrilegious to modify an AMC. Some members will flame you for it. I have been a member for over three years now over there in purist land.

Brad it seems you have a single 4 bbl carb under that T/A hood. Can you post a picture of the base plate. Is it steel or fiberglass? How did you get the air cleaner housing to seal against the hood?  I ask because Year One  emailed this morning to state the T/A hood I ordered will arrive Thursday, 11/02/2017. My engine is a 340 sporting a four-barrel. I have made plenum boxes for carbs out of fiberglass and may do it for my Challenger. Thanks. BTW, the front flares you made for your Challenger are to die for.
The base I have was made by hybrid-fiberglass-solutions  . I don't think they are around anymore? I just noticed that one of the sponsors here Shakerhood.com make one in steel.( first picture) I sent an email asking for the measurement between the bottom of the carb flange to the air filter surface to see if it will work with my intake set up , but haven't heard back yet?
http://www.shakerhood.com/products.php?id=CudaParts

Brads70

Quote from: IRON MAN on October 27, 2017, 09:03:03 PM
There are  members at TheAMCFORUM that consider it sacrilegious to modify an AMC. Some members will flame you for it. I have been a member for over three years now over there in purist land.

Ya I've been over there lurking for a couple years, joined up awhile back. I hear what your saying.... although some members do heavily modify their AMC's

RUNCHARGER

I like them all: I really appreciate a stock restoration but if you have a 318 car that isn't too rare I see no reason not to modify it. That being said though I like day2 type mods more than this "pro touring" deal. However that is what individuality is all about so that's where good workmanship trumps all I believe.
I do wonder though if there are more correctly restored Cudas and Challenger than there are correctly restored Camaros and Firebirds? I think there may be.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

I helped my friend build a real Pacer X with a well built 360 & he also rebuilt a Gremlin X with a 360 instead of the 304 , I am sure the value has increased by $ 1 or so but not a lot more !!

IRON MAN

Brad, Thanks for posting the pix of your fiberglass base plate. I could  make it if I had a metal base plate to make a plaster mold from. The Vendor you mentioned is commanding Nordstrom pricing for their steel base plate  $650.00 + shipping. I guess with classic MOPARs one can no longer be a K mart shopper.  :rofl:

6bblgt

Tom @rocketresto  from "shakerhood" is at Fall Fling - you probably won't get a response 'til he's back in WA  :dunno:

the air cleaner they make is a 4bbl SHAKER base welded to a "TRANS AM" ring - I believe @mccannix found a similar single 4bbl prototype at FRAM in the '80s

the race cars had a flat piece of aluminum? with a round hole cut in it, attached to the bottom of the fiberglass hood
it appears the handful of factory 4bbl cars had a stamped steel adapter riveted to the bottom of the fiberglass hood

the factory 340 4bbl (& TRANS AM race car) air cleaner looked like this  :takealook:

mccannix

Actually the one Tom at 'shakerhood ' has is like the one Brads70 pictured.
It is not a 4bbl base welded to the ring but rather a 4 bbl shaker base with the 7 studs intact and the TA outer ring fits over the studs and is joined with the 7 oblong washers and nuts.
The prototype  I got from Fram was spotwelded with the same amount of spotwelds that they use on a regular TA 6 pk base.

Brads70

Quote from: 6bblgt on October 28, 2017, 12:38:10 PM
Tom @rocketresto  from "shakerhood" is at Fall Fling - you probably won't get a response 'til he's back in WA  :dunno:

the air cleaner they make is a 4bbl SHAKER base welded to a "TRANS AM" ring - I believe @mccannix found a similar single 4bbl prototype at FRAM in the '80s

the race cars had a flat piece of aluminum? with a round hole cut in it, attached to the bottom of the fiberglass hood
it appears the handful of factory 4bbl cars had a stamped steel adapter riveted to the bottom of the fiberglass hood

the factory 340 4bbl (& TRANS AM race car) air cleaner looked like this  :takealook:

Do you have any pictures of the race car set up?  Makes sense Tom didn't reply as he is at the show! :bradsthumb: 

The first picture of the aircleaner bases, just to clarify is from Shakerhood.com website. It's not mine.... yet? LOL
Question, why is there 2 doors/holes at the back? Like for what purpose? To let warm air in during the winter?  :notsure:

Quote from: mccannix on October 28, 2017, 02:55:14 PM
Actually the one Tom at 'shakerhood ' has is like the one Brads70 pictured.
It is not a 4bbl base welded to the ring but rather a 4 bbl shaker base with the 7 studs intact and the TA outer ring fits over the studs and is joined with the 7 oblong washers and nuts.
The prototype  I got from Fram was spotwelded with the same amount of spotwelds that they use on a regular TA 6 pk base.

Cool good to know!  :bigthumb:

6bblgt

6bblgt

:takepicture:  :banana:

6bblgt

single 4bbl race cars & production 4bbl adapter plate

Brads70

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

IRON MAN

Thank you for sharing the pix. The engine bay shot is awesome!

dave73

Another off topic comment - Brad I noticed you fabricated an engine bay cross brace, did you notice a difference before and after install?