Main Menu

$700 to wrap some of my car, sound fair?

Started by nsmall, July 23, 2018, 08:53:28 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

Curious if any of you think the price is fair and if it is even worth it.

So the only shop I know of locally will wrap my lower quarters, lower front fenders down low, and the nose panel and very front (like the first 6 inches of my front fenders) for $700.  No taxes so $700 total

I plan to drive my car a lot.  I probably will never get the car repainted.  Should I go for it?  Im 39 so I hopefully have some years ahead of me.

Its some high end film, not some cheap vinyl, I forget how thick it is, but its guaranteed to protect your paint and not wreck your paint or discolor over time.

RUNCHARGER

That might be okay. We paid $700 for the hood and front of fender wrap on the wife's SLK. I thought it was high but there was no competition unfortunately.
Sheldon

IRON MAN

The wrap will fade if the vehicle is parked outdoors. If the film gets rock chips it is hard to touch up. The wraps that are one color are the worst. I've talked with several wrap shop owners. A lot of competition in the SF Bay Area. The owners know I'm well connected and collect cars. I got a quote to do my Silverado Ext Cab Z71 4x4 for $3,000. The owner said it would start to fade in seven years. My truck was parked next to his. I told him I wanted the exact same wrap he put on his truck. His wrap is several years old and is a scene of a duck blind hunting scene in the Delta with tules and cat tails all the way around and over the truck...like you were there. He said the wrap has faded a bit but like a pair of Levi's it just happens to look better with time. It is an extra thousand for the delta scene because he doesn't own the right to the graphics. He quoted me a single color wrap is $2,000. He said with the delta scene rock chips aren't noticeable...they just blend in.

dave73

You're getting the cuda wrapped? Clear, color or a design?

A local place quoted me $7 a square foot if that helps you calculate for a comparison.

nsmall

I just wanted a clear wrap that protects my new paint job.  Its way more that $7 a foot, its like $100 a foot.

GoodysGotaCuda

Sounds a little high to me but entire job is almost all skill, the material cost isn't that bad.

It has a decent scrap rate and takes skills, that cost $$$. That said I've left mine to get "battle scars". My lower valance caught a large rock and busted the leading edge pretty good. A wrap wouldn't have saved it anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

A.Gramz

I recently had a work truck wrapped after a repaint.  The guy we used wanted to wait awhile b/c he says that if the paint is still soft it will stick to the wrap on removal down the road.  I donno how true that is. I didn't really care it's a work truck.

And that price is really high in my opinion.  The wrap material is really cheap I'm told.  But I also live near a major city with lots of comp

nsmall

@GoodysGotaCuda Your car does way better burn outs vs my Cuda.  Are your lower rear quarter full of battle scars yet?  Thats the area I am most concerned about.  I was a little shocked by the quote.

HUSTLESTUFF

You should be able to do this yourself.  Watch a few videos and get some cutting tape.  Look up some different 3M or Avery products.  Don't stray from those brands.  There are no complex parts that you want covered.  I wrapped my entire Cuda in 1 1/2 days flat black.  Mike

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: nsmall on July 24, 2018, 09:53:00 PM
@GoodysGotaCuda Your car does way better burn outs vs my Cuda.  Are your lower rear quarter full of battle scars yet?  Thats the area I am most concerned about.  I was a little shocked by the quote.

I'll blue tape it if I plan on doing burnouts, but no it's not chewed up in my opinion.

2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

dave73

Ah the few benefits of having a garage paint job  :haha:

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: dave73chally on July 25, 2018, 08:47:57 AM

In reference to my car?

2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

dave73

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on July 25, 2018, 08:52:53 AM
Quote from: dave73chally on July 25, 2018, 08:47:57 AM

In reference to my car?

No - meant my paint job is crappy so it is what it is if it gets beat up.

392 Cuda

Quote from: HUSTLESTUFF on July 24, 2018, 10:05:17 PM
You should be able to do this yourself.  Watch a few videos and get some cutting tape.  Look up some different 3M or Avery products.  Don't stray from those brands.  There are no complex parts that you want covered.  I wrapped my entire Cuda in 1 1/2 days flat black.  Mike

How did it turn out? Do you have any pics you can share?

js27

I have work for a major national sign company for 16 years now and ran the graphics dept. for  number of years and now run our digital print center. We do not do wraps for the public but we have printed some for our own service truck. We use both 3M and Oracal. The cost of good material is not cheap but not crazy either. Depending on what material we pay around $600.00 to $1000.00 for a 60" X 150 ft roll.  I have wrapped some small area on different projects. It is not hard to work with but depending on amount of contours it does take some skill. Most wrap shops will mark up the vinyl cost 100% or more and then you have their labor rate. I would get as many quotes and look at their work and then decide.

JS27