Main Menu

Door glass

Started by Challenger in NC, April 11, 2017, 03:02:28 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Challenger in NC

My car's door glass has some chips on the edge but otherwise the glass is in good shape for almost 50 years old. My best option is probably to just buy some replacements. I hate to trash these but the chip is rather noticeable. Am i correct in thinking that the glass is not repairable except for light scratches?

Timbbuc2

Hello Chris, if it was me I would replace, BUT I am no glass expert.
Get in, I'll drive

Cuda Cody

Yup, I would replace it too.  Unless you're okay with it?  It's not bad, but I personally like them to look like new when I do a car.   :alan2cents:

Challenger in NC

Hey, Tim. Probably the route i will go.

Challenger in NC

thanks Cody, figured they are a lost cause.

Blake@diyhemi.com

Quote from: Challenger in NC on April 11, 2017, 03:16:59 PM
thanks Cody, figured they are a lost cause.

While they aren't repairable, Someone out there may be able to use them on a low buck project. The Young Guns division at Mopar nats comes to mind. Cars restored and owned by people 25 and younger.

I remember being in that age group and scrapping by for scratch and dent parts just to be able to afford the hobby.

Which brings me to another idea. How cool would it be for us to collect up our scratch and dent parts for the young guys getting into our beloved E-bodies? A place where the new kids can get little odds and ends that need elbow grease. That would be neat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1970 AAR Cuda 
5.7 Hemi /A833 ~ DIYHEMI-Cuda
Looking for my numbers matching 340 TA block!
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

Your late model Hemi swap resource!

anlauto

I usually sell glass like that for $20 each....I've had dozens over the years....
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Challenger in NC

I'd be happy to donate them to someone that does not care about the chips. The passenger side has one chip that is much less noticeable than the one in the photo. It's dated 10 1969, driver side 4 1971. I'll probably rob any needed hardware though. Since I do not make it to swap meets or car shows, it would most likely need to be shipped or picked up locally by someone in the Raleigh, NC area.

I just ordered some AMD door glass from Dave@Roseville.

Crocha617

I see you just ordered some. I have a pair of good door glass from a 73 challenger here that I'm sick of looking at. If anyone needs some and is local come and get it...

Spikedog08

I also have some door glass that is chipped on the top but mine is convertible glass . . . certainly would part with it.  Then I also have another set that is reproduction but the curve is wrong . . . would part with that as well.   :dunno:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

70/6chall

I have lived with a couple of chips not overly intrusive but none the less there, on the top of my drivers door. I can recall finding them when I got off of work one morning many years back. Some yahoo apparently tried to break in to the car by prying down from the top with a screwdriver. Chipped the glass in couple of places, nothing I can't live with. My side glass is the original factory installed glass other than this small damage the glass is in great shape. If I wanted to replace it, no problem, I have 2 sets, that's 8 pieces of glass in clear and tinted, not sure of the date codes, I'd have to look at them. Guess it's not causing me to lose sleep at night.       Thanks,   Al