Main Menu

Drip Rail Sealing

Started by 71vert340, April 14, 2022, 09:47:51 AM

Previous topic Next topic

71vert340

I need suggestions. This isn't on my Challenger but on my Charger. I know several people on here have eliminated the vinyl top on their cars. I just can't bring myself to reinstall the vinyl top back on this 74 Charger. What do you suggest I use to seal the gutter between the roof skin and the drip rail. I  thought of seam sealer but wanted to see what others have used and suggest so I won't make a mistake and have to do over. I've added a photo looking at that area. Thanks.
Terry W.

Scooter

anlauto

I think my body shop uses seam sealer, not sure which brand :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

shawge

I removed the vinyl top on my Challenger and used self-leveling seam sealer for that area.

Cleaned and taped up where I didn't want the sealer to go, used Lord 122EZ (medium set time, 12EZ is fast set time) and a small plastic tool to work the sealer over the seam as it leveled out.

Any good brand brand of seam sealer should work.  :alan2cents:
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

Mrbill426

My paint gasket set from DMT included flat foam like gaskets for the drip rails.  Do they go up against the body or between the inner and outer trim pieces?  Where does the sealant go?

Quote from: anlauto on April 14, 2022, 10:15:28 AM
I think my body shop uses seam sealer, not sure which brand :thinking:

anlauto

As shown in the picture, we're talking about the exterior of the car where the roof panel is welded on. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mrbill426

Oh ok... sorry bout that.  :-X

Quote from: anlauto on April 14, 2022, 05:18:36 PM
As shown in the picture, we're talking about the exterior of the car where the roof panel is welded on. :alan2cents:

Scooter

^^^ So seam sealer, float, prime and paint?

7E-Bodies

I'm at this stage on my 70 Challenger and mine is in very good shape (even though I'm removing it), yet it seems like bondo although it appears original. Maybe it's just hardened over 53 years? Was factory a seam sealer? Mine is a vinyl top car FWIW.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

7E-Bodies

@Mrbill426 does this help you? These are the originals off of my 70 that haven't been cleaned up yet.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

Bpret

3M heavy drip-check sealer 08531 it's about $25 a tube but goes a long way.

Mrbill426

@7E-Bodies, yes every bit of information helps, thanks!

Quote from: 7E-Bodies on March 25, 2023, 03:51:12 PM
@Mrbill426 does this help you? These are the originals off of my 70 that haven't been cleaned up yet.

gzig5

I removed my roof last fall and the material that filled that channel was pretty rigid.  More like body filler rather than pliable like seam sealer.  But I wouldn't say it was "hard".   The wire wheel had to work a bit to get it out.