Main Menu

Firewall Corner Alignment

Started by nicka, October 29, 2020, 09:03:17 AM

Previous topic Next topic

nicka

I installed a new AMD non a/c firewall into my 71 Barracuda and it fell into place around the Inner Cowl Side Hinge Panel, but I seem to be coming up short on the top corners.  Looks like they are not long enough.  Even with a ratchet strap, I'll still off by a 1/4 inch.  I still have my original firewall and it seems that the original firewall is longer along the corners where it turns up and before it dips down into the window channel.  I was thinking about straightening out the top corner piece that turns into the channel.  Because it is short, it wont lay flat.  I took a pic from the interior and the two holes are close, but no cigar.  Anyone else ran into this and how did you fix?

jimynick

Try hooking it onto the upper and fastening it (screw/Cleco) and then see if you can either pull and/or pry the lower back into it's place. Failing that, get out the cowl stretcher and give 'er.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

nicka

Ok. So took your advice and tried to lift it up from the bottom.  I could only get about 1/4" of movement upward due to the firewall hitting the Lower Inner Fender to Cowl Bracket.  I stuck a screwdriver into the 1/4" gap between the firewall and bracket to hold it up and did flatten the top piece that originally was curved down.  Both gave me enough movement to be close on top.

Thanks

jimynick

Awesome! I knew you could do it and you did! Good work and you've learned an important lesson with working on these cars- "if it doesn't fit, why doesn't it and what do I need to do to make it fit"!  :twothumbsup:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

rayzor

anybody having alignment issues with AMD upper cowl panel, where it meets at the top of the bottom corner windshield pillar. Any reply would be helpful.  Thanks.