Main Menu

Firewall Repair or Replace

Started by nicka, August 19, 2020, 08:16:16 AM

Previous topic Next topic

nicka

So the AMD firewall for my '71 Barracuda showed up today.  Had a chance to compare the old and new and I see at least 7 differences.  Note, they no longer produce the a/c version so I ordered the non a/c version.

anlauto

If you're worried about the "little things" swap out all the little brackets that hold the brake line and wire harness...I always do....that and even the weld nuts for the steering column  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

nicka

What's that large  7 inch "stove pipe" on top drivers side used for?  I've got the original a/c heater box and thought about maybe reusing it.  The blower motor, drain hose, and a/c vacuum drain holes are in a different location.  The evaporator and heater core holes are different.  The column tabs look different.  Mine has a horizontal crease along the center.   I'm starting to lean on keeping the original lower half and replace the rusted out piece above the cowl. 

70 Challenger Lover

There is a guy in Az selling a new AMD upper and lower cowl set dirt cheap and it's for A/C. Not sure where you are but if it's close, I'd buy it and resell the non AC one if that is what you really want.

anlauto

You purchased a non-AC firewall of course they're totally different, I thought you were getting rid of the AC and that's why you purchased it.... :dunno:

It's a lot of extra work to convert it....The driver's side "stove pipe" is for the driver's side vent box, something AC cars don't have. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

RacerX

Quote from: nicka on September 10, 2020, 05:04:40 PM
What's that large  7 inch "stove pipe" on top drivers side used for?  I've got the original a/c heater box and thought about maybe reusing it.  The blower motor, drain hose, and a/c vacuum drain holes are in a different location.  The evaporator and heater core holes are different.  The column tabs look different.  Mine has a horizontal crease along the center.   I'm starting to lean on keeping the original lower half and replace the rusted out piece above the cowl.

The stove pipe on the driver side is for the air vent.   Non A/C cars get two cable operated air vents.

I think it goes without saying that the heater box would be different between A/C and non A/C.  There is no part of your A/C heater box that will swap.  You will need to source a non-A/C heater box and the driver side vent box.   

In your case I would try to get the A/C firewall...   if that one mentioned above doesn't pan out try Classic Muscle Metal in Georgia...  they are in tight with AMD may have the A/C firewall at their shop.

anlauto

RacerX

Quote from: anlauto on September 10, 2020, 06:28:55 PM
Classic Industries has an AC Firewall in stock  :dunno:

Roseville shows them too https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/product/firewall-70-74-e-body-w_-a_c/

I figured he had already tried the "go-to" guys first...

Roseville does show it as available, but do they stock large sheet metal pieces at their shop?   I thought it was all drop ship from AMD for them?

Mopar5

If im reading it correctly it looks like you get the AC firewall and cowl all welded together as one unit from classic,for $699.00. seems like a good deal.

Cuda416

Is there a difference between a Challenger and a Cuda firewall? No one talks about Dynacorn it seems.

http://dynacorndepot.com/firewall-70-74-challenger-6070-challenger-70-74

Something wrong with these?
U.S.M.C. SFMF
70 Barracuda Vert
69 Dart Vert
65 Valiant

anlauto

No difference in the Cuda vs Challenger firewall. I think that one is the one Classic Industries sells, that or Goodmark.. :thinking:

nicka

Thanks all for the comments.  I'm on the fence of whether to stay original or purchase a complete modern kit.  First, I'm going to look and see if I have all the a/c parts and pieces that were under the dash and see if they are in good working order.  If I'm not missing any pieces and everything is in good working order, I will look at the condition of the original box.  If I run into any hiccups, I have the new firewall so I can move to a more modern system. 

Thanks again.

Cuda416

Quote from: anlauto on September 11, 2020, 05:10:37 AM
No difference in the Cuda vs Challenger firewall. I think that one is the one Classic Industries sells, that or Goodmark.. :thinking:

Ok, I thought they were the same.

On the maker of that firewall in the link, I thought dynacorn made all of there own stuff, no?
U.S.M.C. SFMF
70 Barracuda Vert
69 Dart Vert
65 Valiant

RacerX

Quote from: nicka on September 11, 2020, 08:37:21 AM
Thanks all for the comments.  I'm on the fence of whether to stay original or purchase a complete modern kit.  First, I'm going to look and see if I have all the a/c parts and pieces that were under the dash and see if they are in good working order.  If I'm not missing any pieces and everything is in good working order, I will look at the condition of the original box.  If I run into any hiccups, I have the new firewall so I can move to a more modern system. 

Thanks again.

Oh yea I forgot you were considering the classic/vintage air A/C system...   in that case, you are OK.   You don't need any of the factory A/C stuff except for the dash vents.    The modern systems include a new heater/AC box.   You will still need the vent box for the driver's side or just weld a cover over the big hole in the firewall.