Main Menu

First time painting a car - some questions

Started by daaboots, June 14, 2024, 12:58:28 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70_440-6Cuda and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

torredcuda

I`ve done it with and without metal prep and never had an issue, PPG used to recommend metal prep years ago and then changed thier procedure but others still do recommend it. I think the main issue is that you nuetralize the acid prep so it doesn`t continue to work after you prime it. If I have very minor surface pitting after blasting or grinding I still will acid wipe (metal prep) then clean with water or windex.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

YellowThumper

Look forward to seeing your progress. Along with some learning as this is in my future.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

dodj

Quote from: YellowThumper on August 01, 2024, 11:58:00 AMLook forward to seeing your progress. Along with some learning as this is in my future.
My future too. My car was painted in, I think 1993 or 94. It has held up well. But soon it will be time for new paint. Maybe try to make it look like Sheldons pink hemi.....
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

69 500

A wise and well liked man whom has passed had Quote that he used at his shop which is very true , but lazy people won't understand " doing it right does't cost anymore"

dodj

Quote from: 69 500 on October 04, 2024, 06:47:20 PMA wise and well liked man whom has passed had Quote that he used at his shop which is very true , but lazy people won't understand " doing it right does't cost anymore"

Which reminds me of another quote, "never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over..." I think of this quote from time to time when thinking of cutting corners on a job - not necessarily on the car.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

dodj

Well Daaboots? How's it gong? Summer is over. Is there colour on the car? Or did life get in the way?
Looking forward to hearing about your paint adventures. Good, Bad, or otherwise.
 :popcorn:
Good popcorn....

69 500

doing right the first time means more time to enjoy wasting time and money needlessly. old saying "make haste not waste" makes sense too me.

DeathProofCuda

Quote from: 69 500 on October 04, 2024, 06:47:20 PMA wise and well liked man whom has passed had Quote that he used at his shop which is very true , but lazy people won't understand " doing it right does't cost anymore"

A nice idea, but not very reflective of reality.  Time = money, and doing it "right" takes more time.  Doing it "right" may also require more or better materials, which also costs more money.

Let's not forget that these cars were not built "right" from the factory.  Corners were cut to keep the lines moving and keep production numbers up so that money could be made.    They were built as disposable cars to hit a price point aimed at young drivers, not to serve as museum displays or show pieces for old guys to sit next to in lawn chairs.

I'm a pretty detail oriented, or anal retentive if you prefer, kind of guy and I've wasted countless hours in my life trying to make things "right".  Sometimes those details are important, other times not so much.  At this point I'm more likely to embrace another wise and well liked man's mantra, " Don't get it right, just get it running" - David Freiburger