Main Menu

Flip top gas cap and new quarters.

Started by Rdchallenger, November 25, 2019, 05:34:30 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Rdchallenger

So I have read many times that this is usually a problem. While in the garage tonight I decided to line up my flip top gas cap and hope for the best... Unfortunately it looks like I'm going to have to do some modifying. The screw holes all line up, but as you see you can see light coming through.

How would one go about tackling this...

Chaos-N-Mayhem

Can you try using the mounting hardware to see if that helps solve the issue

1 Wild R/T

Take a picture from the outside....  Are you using the trim ring?   Normally the problem is when you use the partial skins that were all that was available in the 80-s & 90's... The new repo quarters I haven't heard of there being issues.... Considering it was a well documented problem with the old stuff you'd think they would get it right on the new panels....

Katfish

Can't tell what the issue is from that pic.
Does it not sit flush on the quarter?

Rdchallenger

Will take a photo from the outside tomorrow when I'm able to get back into the garage, that is also with the trim ring on as well.

What I'm nervous about is that on the hinge side of the gas cap you can see right down into the trunk while it's sitting flush in the indent of the quarter panel that is the light you see coming in.

Of course, this is without a neck to quarter seal mocked up to it as well so I may be jumping the gun.

Brads70

Quote from: Rdchallenger on November 26, 2019, 04:34:25 AM
Will take a photo from the outside tomorrow when I'm able to get back into the garage, that is also with the trim ring on as well.

What I'm nervous about is that on the hinge side of the gas cap you can see right down into the trunk while it's sitting flush in the indent of the quarter panel that is the light you see coming in.

Of course, this is without a neck to quarter seal mocked up to it as well so I may be jumping the gun.

I think what your concerned about it normal. Mine is the same way, just the opening for the hinge is what your seeing.  The " usual" issue  was that the recess was not deep enough making the cap assy sit up higher. 

anlauto

Once you tighten the four screws you'll be fine  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Rdchallenger

:grouphug:

Awesome! Thanks for the reassurance everyone,  sometimes you need talked off the cliff.  :drunk:

JS29

Is there a seal or gasket that go's in between? Maybe some strip caulk.  :alan2cents:

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: JS29 on November 26, 2019, 06:09:07 AM
Is there a seal or gasket that go's in between? Maybe some strip caulk.  :alan2cents:

There's a white foam gasket..

JS29

HEMICUDA

Quote from: anlauto on November 26, 2019, 05:29:51 AM
Once you tighten the four screws you'll be fine  :alan2cents:

If your cap is that far off from going all the way down, DON'T try to pull it down by tightening the screws, you'll strip the holes.  I've had a couple repro quarters where the whole tapers top down and the cap will not seat all the way down, you may have to modify the bottom of the cap.  Also, don't forget to bend up the inner corners of the stainless trim ring, they put tension between the body and cap so it doesn't rattle.