Main Menu

Flip up gas cap

Started by fireguyfire, December 22, 2019, 10:17:23 PM

Previous topic Next topic

fireguyfire

I'm just about to the paint phase on my 73 challenger. The goal is to put the car back to its 1973 look as the grille and tail panel had been blacked out, and the front of the hood trim as well as rallye hood intakes had been painted black, etc.
The car also had hood pins and a flip up gas cap added.
In a previous thread regarding the hood pins the majority of the people on the forum suggested I leave them as they look cool and add a bit of back up safety for the hood latch.
My question is about the flip up gas cap; I know they weren't available in 73 so the car probably had a painted cap.
Looking for opinions, should I keep the flip up on my 73? I'm putting the rest of the car back to factory 73 spec, except for an EFI kit.
The hood pins and flip up cap could be justified as "next day" add ons.

Feel free to voice your opinions on this one!

Katfish

Absolutely keep the flip, 1 of the best looking features.
That flat cap is just bland.

Brads70

:iagree:  It's your car do what pleases you! The flip gas cap was one of the first parts I bought for my car when I first got it. It was a " must have" item for me!  :yes:

1 Wild R/T

I didn't realize they weren't available on the 73's... Back in the day I snagged a few off 72-74 Challengers at the wrecking yards.... Must have been added.... Had no idea..

Rdchallenger

I did the same thing as what Brad said "One of the first items I bought when I got my car." Love the look.

kawahonda

Flip cap doesn't add any new holes, so why not?

Hood pins on the other hand...glad I didn't add those. Not worth it. I don't buy the extra security. The latch coming undone on its own is BS.

Like Brad said, it's the first thing I did to the car! Still have the original twist on cap...
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

fireguyfire

The flip cap on mine has 3 holes drilled around the gas cap location to secure it to the fender, so technically it does add extra holes to the car; hence the reason for my thread as I would need to weld them up now if I'm going to before I paint

750-h2

Pretty sure even in 73 you need those holes to secure the fuel tube to the 1/4 panel.

318Stroker

Quote from: fireguyfire on December 23, 2019, 06:42:35 AM
The flip cap on mine has 3 holes drilled around the gas cap location to secure it to the fender, so technically it does add extra holes to the car; hence the reason for my thread as I would need to weld them up now if I'm going to before I paint

Should be 4 holes, and they hold the filler neck to the back side of the 1/4 panel.

318Stroker

Quote from: fireguyfire on December 22, 2019, 10:17:23 PM
I'm just about to the paint phase on my 73 challenger. The goal is to put the car back to its 1973 look as the grille and tail panel had been blacked out, and the front of the hood trim as well as rallye hood intakes had been painted black, etc.
The car also had hood pins and a flip up gas cap added.
In a previous thread regarding the hood pins the majority of the people on the forum suggested I leave them as they look cool and add a bit of back up safety for the hood latch.
My question is about the flip up gas cap; I know they weren't available in 73 so the car probably had a painted cap.
Looking for opinions, should I keep the flip up on my 73? I'm putting the rest of the car back to factory 73 spec, except for an EFI kit.
The hood pins and flip up cap could be justified as "next day" add ons.

Feel free to voice your opinions on this one!

I've had a flip cap on my 73 since the late 70's, and love it. A word of advice here. If you replaced the right 1/4 panel with a repro, check now before you paint, and make sure the cap fits properly. The repro panels are notorious for the gas cap opening not being formed properly. I found that out when I went to install the cap after paint. The 1/4 required surgery. Needless to say, I was not happy!  :verymad:

YellowThumper

As noted it is your car to have as you please.
My vote is keep the flip cap and eliminate the hood pins.
All about sheet metal changes for me. Bolt on yes. Drill out no.
Future years after paint you decide you want them. They can be added again.
Same with cap. No longer want it. Just remove it and switch back to original style.

And as I type this, you should have the original cap painted at the same time the car is. And save for later.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

RUNCHARGER

I like the flip cap. If the hood pins are in the factory spot I would leave them as well.
Sheldon

fireguyfire

I'm leaning towards keeping the gas cap, and losing the hood pins.
The screw on vs drill and alter argument resonates with me.

70/6chall

I'm with Sheldon (Runcharger) on the like flip door gas cap. Back in the day when I purchased my  Slant6 Challenger the inevitable happened, I left my factory painted twist in cap at one of my weekly fill ups at the gas station. Of course the cap dissapeared,  a trip down to the dealership to get another one I scored one of the replacement chrome twist in, I still have that cap to this day. Living in SoCal I decided to stop in at Huntington Beach (Surf City) Dodge and bought one of the flip door gas caps, brand new for $12.00, and a trim ring for $5.00. That cap is still on the car. Now as for the hood pins, I was able to pick up a clean sheet metal Power Bulge '70 hood for $55.00 missing the hood pins. Found a complete set of factory  hood pins and bezels at the local U- Pick yard for $1.00. The pins I found on a '70 Challenger with a flat hood.   Thanks,   Al

340challconvert

Flip top caps really enhance the look of the Challenger IMO :ohyeah:
Why not keep the flip cap but paint a standard gas cap the car's color and keep it in storage.  It really is a minor task to switch them around.
Besides the flip cap allows you to use a locking cap beneath the unit (if desired)
Good luck with what ever you decide.

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible